OSX and movie files.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ZizousamA, Oct 20, 2009.

1. ZizousamA macrumors member

Hello,

I experienced (10.6) that movie players, no matter the player, especially when playing certain extensions like .mpg and .wmv consume an unbelievable amounts of ram. I just caught MPlayer Extended taking up an astounding 1.68gb even though it was paused. It, and other players, just keeps consuming and consuming ram and occupying the cpu. It is not a one time happening. What is the explanation for this?

Is it because this is just how playing movie files is no matter the operating system was?

Is it an OSX thing and how it deals with movie players in general?

Is it related to certain extensions and how they are consuming to play?

I'm interested in your opinions on the matter. It is not a problem per se, but an intriguing matter to discuss, I think.

2. SHankara macrumors member

Thats odd,would you care to post a snaphsot of activity monitor?I do know oSX tries to quicklook certain movie files it can consume ram and cpu becuase its trying to put the preview into memory.I could also be the file size of the movie file.Some Player can cache the movie into memory.

3. ZizousamA thread starter macrumors member

That's what's making me wonder. I was pausing an 11mb .wmv file and the player took 1.68gb! How can this simply task be worth all that ram?! :confused: I will take a snapshot the minute this happens again.

4. ZizousamA thread starter macrumors member

Look how much MPlayer is taking! All because I am pausing, let alone playing, a 50mb .mpg file :eek: It just keeps on going until it eats all the ram there is.

Attached Files:

5. SHankara macrumors member

hmm,It seems your using an older version of mplayer try using mplayer osx extended from here http://mplayerosx.sttz.ch/ its the latest from current source,it may help the mem problems.

6. ZizousamA thread starter macrumors member

Thank you, it appears to be working normally after the update.

7. SHankara macrumors member

no prob!