OSX and Windows 10 rMB or MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by emembee, Aug 31, 2016.

1. emembee macrumors regular

emembee

I am looking to upgrade my MBA 13 inch (2012) to a new rMB or another MBA (2015).

Any views please on running BootCamp windows 10 on either and if the rMB is better? I would need get the 512 ssd (split 50/50 osx/win10) , the only downside I can think of re the newer mac is that USB-C may not be compatible or would cause problems? Does the retina display cause issues on Windows, not sure if this affect the mac at all?

Thanks.

2. where is it macrumors 6502

where is it

I run Windows 10 through Parallels 12 and the performance is outstanding. So you can run Windows and Mac side by side along with Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Chrome etc all open too with no performance loss.

Plus you get the full use of the trackpad and gesture support your used to on the mac in windows. Parallels is very much a worthwhile investment. Plus if you are into your 3D, then your'll be amazed how all that runs too.

No need for bootcamp at all.

3. Ovedius macrumors 6502

Ovedius

I've got Bootcamp set up with Windows 10 on my 2016 rMB and it works like a charm.

USB-C was not a problem, I used a Sandisk USB-A/C stick to install Windows without a hitch.

Windows has a form of interface scaling comparable to OS X.
    You can set the scaling factor yourself if you wish. I've got it at 150% and everything is fine.

I'd say go with the rMB. The Air is just pants in comparison right now.
    -though you might want to wait a week and see what the keynote brings before making a purchase :)

4. emembee thread starter macrumors regular

emembee

Thanks for your replies. I doubt if I will wait for the new rMBP announcements (unless they include MBA too) as I am low on space and my battery is poor too so want to decide in the next month. For safety I would stay with a new Air as it has been totally solid, no fault at all in 4 years, but I quite fancy the retina screen and the latest MBA is early 2015 model too.