OSX Application trust

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Albal, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Albal macrumors member

Hi,

I recently got a new Mac and downloaded all of the applications I wanted. Now some of the applications (VLC), when opened, bring up a prompt reading:

"VLC” is an application which was downloaded from the Internet. Are you sure you want to open it?"

Is it possible to make OSX remember that I click 'open' every time or add it to a list of trusted apps?

This never happened on Tiger and if unfixable is turning into a growing annoyance of 10.5!

Thanks.

2. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

the first time an *unsigned* application is run on a host it will prompt you. It will not prompt you again unless the application is upgraded.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have you dragged the download programs to the Applications folder?

If so, the message you get should only be visible when you open the app the first time.

When the application (VLF for example) is still in the mounted Disk Image (DMG), then you will get the message every time you open a program.

But if the message still appears after the second start of an application while it is run from the Application folder, then something might be wrong.

4. Albal thread starter macrumors member

It is in the Application folder. I dragged and dropped it there after doing the disk image thing. I trashed the .dmg and ejected the disk.

As you can see I've had the app since feb something and it is still doing it.

Maybe I should just download and install it again...

[​IMG]

Cheers for the quick replies.

5. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

Trash it and try again. This is not normal behavior.

6. Albal thread starter macrumors member

Trashed it and OSX asked for password before it was allowed to go in trash.

Just redownloaded it and it now is not prompting for an 'ok' every time I open it.

Thanks for the help!

7. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

8. Albal thread starter macrumors member

It seems to be running all okay now, but thanks for looking into that for me, appreciated.