Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidnssbm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2009
Alot of us are new to the Mac world with these new iMacs. Now I know there is an app forum w/ a sticky thread, but frankly, it hasn't been updated since 2004.

So what are some apps, freeware, or tips that will make using OSX even more of a breeze?

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
All the ones mentioned in the Sticky thread about best Mac apps.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Growl

Seriously I can't think of a second one.

Hey guys,

What's so special about Growl. I had it on my MBP for a few days. It became annoying and I couldn't really see the need, so I canned it. What exactly is its purpose?

Yes, I have googled it and read its homepage, but why not just use the notification systems in each app. They all do the same thing. You get a "ding" or window pops up. Why clutter your computer with unnecessary applications.

Caleb531

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2009
Firefox, Adium, NetNewsWire, Growl (didn't like it before, but I finally found it useful)

barrettj

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2010
I can't believe no one has mentioned xGestures a $5 app that adds mouse gestures to the entire OS (customizable per Application). People drop their jaw when they see me working.

I have them set to go off with my middle mouse button (and draw to the screen so I can double check I'm doing the right one).

My favorite gestures:
Up - Expose All Windows
Up Left - Expose Desktop
Down - Close Tab
Down Right - Minimize to Dock (my dock is on the right side of the screen)
Down Left - Close Window
Down Left Right - Quit Application

Web Browser
Left - Previous Tab
Right - Forward Tab

xCode
Right - Build and Run
Down - Build and Analyze
Left Right - Switch between header and implementation
Left - Code Pilot (useful xCode addin)

Extra tip: having all these actions available as gestures freed up my 4th and 5th mouse buttons which are now copy and paste which is incredibly useful.

santaliqueur

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Quicksilver is absolutely indispensable. Its the first thing I download on a new install.

PCalc, for the RPN calculator users

Daisy Disk, to see where all that space has gone

Aperture

1Password

All others I can do without if I had to. These are my top picks.

TaylorJ

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2010
I can't believe no one has mentioned xGestures a $5 app that adds mouse gestures to the entire OS (customizable per Application). People drop their jaw when they see me working.

I have them set to go off with my middle mouse button (and draw to the screen so I can double check I'm doing the right one).

My favorite gestures:
Up - Expose All Windows
Up Left - Expose Desktop
Down - Close Tab
Down Right - Minimize to Dock (my dock is on the right side of the screen)
Down Left - Close Window
Down Left Right - Quit Application

Web Browser
Left - Previous Tab
Right - Forward Tab

xCode
Right - Build and Run
Down - Build and Analyze
Left Right - Switch between header and implementation
Left - Code Pilot (useful xCode addin)

Extra tip: having all these actions available as gestures freed up my 4th and 5th mouse buttons which are now copy and paste which is incredibly useful.

...btt ftw

UpDownAeroplane

macrumors member
May 21, 2010
tweetie - best twitter app and i have used many of them, this is the nicest looking and the easiest to use.
transmission - easy to use torrent client, although utorrent is good too.
schoolhouse - good for high school students, probably not for college though.
things - a place to write down things i gotta do.
adium - much better than ichat.
notational velocity - a note taking app i never see mentioned. it is an AMAZING app and it's free. seriously, download this app.
delicious library - awesome app for keeping track of books, music, movies, games, etc. BEAUTIFUL interface.
gimp - photoshop alternative
instinctive - looks at your itunes playlist and has an ipod type format. really light-weight and it's beautiful to look at.
max - for cd ripping (also try XLD)
vienna (best RSS feeder out there).

burton212

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
I'm getting my first Mac by the end of the month, and would you recommend uTorrent or Transmission?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.