OSX asks for password

quadt89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2017
Hannover, Germany
hello guys!

everytime when I restart my iMac or he restarts after an update, I have to put in my password to get to the desktop. BUT. I don’t have a password! So I have to type like an crazy ant on my keyboard till it works. This isn’t a longtime solution. Is there a secret to unlock my Mac without a password? On my MacBook this works fine! There is an arrow beside the blank password bar.... thx!

Greetings, Kevin

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
If you don't have a password, you'd better create one for yourself.

Things will go much better that way.

You'll just have to trust me on this.

DeltaMac

macrumors G3
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I have to put in my password to get to the desktop. BUT. I don’t have a password! So I have to type like an crazy ant on my keyboard till it works. This isn’t a longtime solution. Is there a secret to unlock my Mac without a password? On my MacBook this works fine! There is an arrow beside the blank password bar.... thx!
That login screen would be for your user account. You said that you "type like an crazy ant ... till it works", so clearly you do have an admin password. That's the same password that you would use to install new software. Next time you restart, remember what you type for the password. If you get to the desktop, then you DO know what the password is (because you just typed it :cool: )

quadt89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2017
Hannover, Germany
When I'm install some program, and he asks for a password, I only hit enter and it runs. Where can I check if I have set an admin password?

DeltaMac

macrumors G3
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Go to System Preferences, then the User & Groups preference pane.
Current user should be at the top of the list, and will probably be listed as an "admin" account.
If you want to add a new password,
Click on "Change Password"
If you don't have any password, then just leave the top line "Old Password" blank.
Enter your new password, and type again to verify, then click "Change Password"
That should do it. (Don't forget that new password!)