OSX based devices on network unable to resolve local DNS entries

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macsrcool1234, Aug 14, 2017.

1. macsrcool1234, Aug 14, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2017

macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

Hi all,

I have some static DNS entries configured on my sophos xg firewall. Every device on my network (linux, freebsd, windows devices) are able to resolve all entries without problems.

However, my two macbook pro's cannot resolve most of these entries (2 out of 15 work).

Something interesting I noticed is that nslookup works and give's me the correct ip address but ping does not resolve.
    And ping:

Dig also works fine in resolving. But I cannot access the server in any app or browser by DNS entry.

Furthermore these all used to resolve before I made a change in the network. It used to be a 192.168.1.x based network and now is 172.16.1.x. But i've checked every possible setting on the router/firewall and can find no configuration problems. Also this problem is only happening on macbooks, all other devices can resolve everything fine. I've rebooted everything without luck. Also tried flushing DNS.

Both macbooks are running osx Sierra 10.12.6.

2. Tonsko macrumors 6502

Tonsko

On the Macs, what does netstat -r show (or netstat -rn if you want ip addresses instead)? If the 192 addresses are showing in the routing table, investigate the route command coupled with the flush sub-command (man route).

3. macsrcool1234 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the response - netstat -r shows only entries for the new 172 network.

4. Tonsko, Aug 15, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2017

Tonsko macrumors 6502

Tonsko

Is there anything untoward in /etc/hosts?

There are a number of data points that you can gather with the networksetup command, for instance networksetup -getinfo Ethernet [The service can be identified with networksetup -listallnetworkservices]. Run networksetup | more for a full list.

You might have some luck with networksetup -setdnsservers <service> <ip1> <ip2>