OSX book for detailed information

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Cudadown, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Cudadown macrumors regular

I have a couple of the very nice new Mac user type books which I throughly enjoy. What I would like to find now is a book that covers very detailed information about things such as;

Terminal commands
    OS basics and advanced system info
    In-depth Automator usage and functions
    Apple script
    Mac system architecture
    ..etc.

Not a machine coding type book. I guess it would be like "Intro to Macs 102/103" or maybe "After learning iLife, Frontrow and the finder..what can you do now" type book. Anything like that in print?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Is David Pogue's book going to be too basic for you at this point?

http://www.amazon.com/Mac-OS-Leopard-Missing-Manual/dp/059652952X

To be honest, when I got my first Apple computer (iBook four years ago), I borrowed the Panther version of that book briefly from the library and skimmed it, but I found out 99% of what I wanted to know with google searches (many of which led me here ;) ).

3. Cudadown thread starter macrumors regular

I agree. That is a great book. I'm not really a advanced user or anything like that yet. But I do love books and I love having reference manuals laying around for those nice long lunch breaks. I'm a book junkie and I really love printed lists of commands and what not. I might not even need or ever use the high tech or low level info but I still love to read it.

I know...I'm a nerd. :cool:

4. MST macrumors 6502

MST

It sounds as though you're looking along the same lines as me; I'm certainly not an advanced user but since I got Switching to a Mac for Dummies for Christmas I've been in search of similar books that delve a little deeper, I'm already planning on getting David Pogue's Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual which I imagine will be much the same as the Dummies book, but if I could I'd like to find some titles with the same sort of subject matter that Cudadown has listed.

Cudadown [or anyone else] is there any chance that you could post a list of the titles you currently have?

5. Cudadown thread starter macrumors regular

I have;

Mac OSX 10.5 Leopard: Peachtree learning series - excellent book
    Switching to a Mac for Dummies - not bad but very very basic
    Mac OS X Leopard pocket guide (Chuck Toporek) - handy but still entry level stuff.

There are so many hundreds of questions I have about a Mac that none of these books come close to discussing. For instance...

+ Explain the file and formating structure of a OS X drive.
    + How does the EFI differ from BIOS systems & what are the advantages.
    + Explain the 1000's of different commands and there uses in the terminal.
    + How are the motherboards in a Mac structured.
    + Main differences in how OS X works with hardware versus a windows pc
    + Much much more about OpenGL
    + Tweaks and tips
    and on and on

You get the idea.

6. MST macrumors 6502

MST

Thanks for the list, the Dummies book is very basic as you say but as sad as it may sound it makes great bedtime reading ;)

Any further title suggestions anyone?