osx: can't put applications in the applications folders???

jvaska

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2002
Haiti/NYC
there must be a way to put applications in the applications folder...does anybody know?

i checked my user status...i'm an admin...i would think i could put things in there...

or, is there something else i need to do?

i don't really like the way they want me to put things in a certain area...nor do i like the fact that i can't put things in the apple menu area...or...i haven't figured this out yet...anybody know how to do this?

hehe...sorry...

thanks...jv

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
permisions

your permissions may have been messed up

open the terminal

type:

cd / <hit return>

ls -l <hit return>

then scrole back up to the top and see if your Applications line looks like this:

drwxrwxr-x 68 root admin 2312 Sep 27 10:07 Applications

it should... post what yours looks like here.

as for puting things were every you want... you should just let installers and the OS put things where they need to be and make aliases of them to the places that you want them to be. If you try to update things later, the updater cant find things in the wrong places.. and you run into problems.

as for the apple menu

check out an app called fruitMenu... its a util that lets you customise the apple menue so its like it was in OS 9

http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=12974&db=mac

jvaska

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2002
Haiti/NYC
?

hmmm...this is what it has for the "applications" line...

drwxrwxr-x 23 60060 3610 738 Sep 27 17:19 Applications

guess i need to start learning how to program this stuff...

????

thanks...jv

ps: but at least os x IS working for me now...

mmcneil

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
Disk First Aid

Recommend you run Disk First aid - it has a "Repair permissions" choice. I am running Jaguar so not sure if that is available in 10.1.5. It actually fixe a lot of permissions on a new Jaguar install with 10.2.1 upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.