OSX Changing Owner

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hastyle, Oct 14, 2010.

1. hastyle macrumors member

Hey guys, i just purchased a open but new macbook pro i5, i guess the owner logged in to make sure it was ok and his name and info is still on the laptop, do u guys know how and where to go to change all that information??? so far i have deleted his user and made mine admin. Is it better to just pop in the install cd and install dvd and reinstall it? not to familiar with osx.

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....if you've made your own account an admin account you can use that to delete all traces of his old one and you should be just fine. If you have a bit of time and have not got too much of your own stuff all loaded and config'd then doing a complete new install (erasing the drive and starting fresh) is what I would be inclined to do as if you do a custom install you can save a lot of drive space by only installing the languages and printer drivers etc etc etc that you actually will use.....oh yeah!

3. Pachang macrumors regular

4. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Like everyone else has said already, I think a complete reinstall of OS X is the easiest thing to do, otherwise you're going to be manually digging around and deleting things, which will take ages, and even then you won't get everything.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Reformat and reinstall OSX.
    I do that whether we're talking a new or used computer.

6. RRmalvado macrumors 6502

Agreed. It seems to be easier than digging around. Even then just knowing that it's a clean install allows me to sleep easier.