Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hastyle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Hey guys, i just purchased a open but new macbook pro i5, i guess the owner logged in to make sure it was ok and his name and info is still on the laptop, do u guys know how and where to go to change all that information??? so far i have deleted his user and made mine admin. Is it better to just pop in the install cd and install dvd and reinstall it? not to familiar with osx.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says....if you've made your own account an admin account you can use that to delete all traces of his old one and you should be just fine. If you have a bit of time and have not got too much of your own stuff all loaded and config'd then doing a complete new install (erasing the drive and starting fresh) is what I would be inclined to do as if you do a custom install you can save a lot of drive space by only installing the languages and printer drivers etc etc etc that you actually will use.....oh yeah!

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
Like everyone else has said already, I think a complete reinstall of OS X is the easiest thing to do, otherwise you're going to be manually digging around and deleting things, which will take ages, and even then you won't get everything.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Reformat and reinstall OSX.
I do that whether we're talking a new or used computer.

RRmalvado

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
Reformat and reinstall OSX.
I do that whether we're talking a new or used computer.

Agreed. It seems to be easier than digging around. Even then just knowing that it's a clean install allows me to sleep easier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.