OSX compatible webcam - Skype

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chainprayer, May 19, 2008.

1. chainprayer macrumors 6502a

Hello! I am looking for a decent quality but inexpensive camera to use on my Mac to use with Skype. What is a good camera to buy?

Thanks!

2. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Try the Xbox Live Vision camera from Microsoft. It's designed for use with the Xbox 360 games console, but it has a USB connector on the end and should work with your Mac just fine. It's very cheap.

3. nplima macrumors 6502a

hi

On Ebay UK there is a seller called "premier-express" where I already bought 2 webcams on separate occasions. they work in OS X and windows XP/Vista. that's for about £15. caveat: Under OS X the microphone doesn't work.

4. DocMacPS macrumors newbie

DocMacPS

Low Cost Skype Webcam for Mac

Agreed the MS xBox cam is a good bargain choice; it's a UVC compliant webcam, absolutely plug and play under OSX 10.4 Tiger and 10.5 Leopard -- As are other's listed at http://www.mac-compatible-web-cam.com/ Beware the real cheapie Kinamax cam tho, I got one of those off eBay and tho it had a sharp image it croaked on me in < 2 weeks - AND the microphone didn't work for me either. Nothing but junk, but expect boatloads of these low-cost driverless UVC cams from the Far East to flood the market soon.