OSX Corruption

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tirinal, Apr 12, 2011.

1. tirinal macrumors newbie

Bit of an odd issue here. I was in my bootcamp win7 partition recently and had it shut down on me due to an overheating video card while gaming. This cause MacDrive to corrupt my OSX partition as it didn't unmount properly. The result of all this is that, while I can boot to OSX, it is incredibly slow in doing so. Going from spinning gear under the Apple icon, to bluescreen, to login screen takes about 15 minutes all told.

Once I actually boot it mostly appears to function normally however, albeit with two differences. The first is that it runs 15C hotter. I was curious about the temperature discrepancy, so I checked activity monitor and saw that kernel_task was eating up 100%+ of CPU. Second, I can't shut down or reboot without it going into kernel panic and causing OSX to alert me that there is a problem and I need to shut down.

Repairing permissions, repairing the disk, booting is safe mode, and running a full OnyX maintenance and clean routine has done nothing.

Running a 2008 MBP with 10.6.7. Any thoughts? I'd rather not backup and do a OSX reinstall if at all possible.

Much obliged, gentlemen.

2. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

Sorry my friend but the prescription for your issue is a wipe and re-install followed by a time machine restore. (You do use TM right?)

Cheers

3. Hastings101 macrumors 68010

Hastings101

You could try disk warrior. Other than that, the best way to is to just backup and reinstall.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Repairing permissions is not going to fix the issues you posted, likewise onyX which basically archives your console logs.

You need to run some diagnostics software on the hardrive, at the very least run disk utility, see what the SMART status is. Also instead of repairing permissions let it check (and repair) any issues.

You may need diskwarrior, techtool pro or something along those lines.

If your hard drive is doing that much work, its possible its going south.

Just blindly reformatting and reinstalling OSX isn't the answer without fully understanding the problem.

Also be sure to have a recent backup and if not, try to pull off your data now before things get worse.

5. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

6. tirinal, Apr 14, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011

tirinal thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, it's just a hassle.

Anyway, the saga continues: Backed up, attempted to reinstall (erase+install), both from the factory disks (Leopard) and the Snow Leopard disk. Both times it would get to around 90% and then give me an error message saying that the OSX partition could not be used as a startup disk. Welp.

Used disk utility to delete my Win7 partition, merge everything, and then format it. Attempted to install OSX. Same error message. Repairing either the disk or the permissions does nothing.

I assume a trip to the service center is in order, unless anyone has an alternate suggestion? This is all rather tedious.

7. Mactrillionaire macrumors regular

Sounds like it is time for a new hard disk. Did you back up your data?