OSX deleting my files!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macdoofus, Oct 24, 2010.

1. macdoofus macrumors member

Incredible. I'm building spreadsheets in Pages and naming them according to dates, such as, 20101025d, thats the year, month, day, appendix d ie draft. Then there are other files in a completely different folders named such as 20010405.mp3 ie audio files. OSX has trashed 20-30 of these mp3 files sometime today on or around the time I deleted various iWork\Pages spreadsheet files with completely differenent names. I discovered this because i needed to retrieve a Pages file from the trash. NONE of the Pages files I need back are even showing in the trash, they're just gone. And these mp3 files are there in the trash instead. (actually the mp3 files are incomplete, like 15 seconds out of 60+minutes ea) This is Not due to operator error on my part. What the heck kind of confidence can I even have to use this machine if it can't handle this naming structure or whatever naming or numbering system?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

How did you delete those files? Via the search function or while in the actual folder (displayed in its own Finder window)? Btw, the cause of the "hiccup" might be, that the files share the same names, unless you include other letters to describe the content of the file (example: 20101025_physics_lecture_quantum_III.mp3 or 20101025_math_seminar_matrices_IV.pages).

3. macdoofus thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply! I deleted the Pages files while in an open folder window. The mp3 files that OSX deleted (I sure didn't) are in a seperate folder on the dektop. Both folders are on the dekstop. There is no way the file names are the same because they're named after dates - and the mp3's are archival of previous years and decades. I just went and locked that folder. Why deleted Pages files are not in the trash ( I rebooted, still not there) I don't. For now, not a concern, I'm backed up. But I'm Really concerned about now and forward - will my various files just willy-nilly be deleted, or if deleted not show in the trash? Because that is exactly what happened. (maybe not willy-nilly, there must be a cause) I'll call Apple tomorrow unless someone knows and feels like posting. I'm on iMac 2010 i3, 10.6.5 iWork '09

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I don't know, why this is happening, but have you installed anything lately and entered your password? If so, what and from where did you get it from?

And are you sure, you are on Mac OS X 10.6.5 and not 10.6.4, as 10.6.5 is still in beta and not publicly released yet.

5. macdoofus thread starter macrumors member

oops, you're right, I meant 10.6.4
    spinnerlys, the only thing I've installed\downloaded lately is an HP printer driver as result of the plug-and-play dialog box. That was a few days ago. The printer installed and performs as expected.

6. msevild macrumors regular

Do you have any software that regularly scans the machine. Backup software(besides Time Machine) or any anti-virus software? I would take a look in activity monitor and look under all processes and see what third party software is running(I know there are a lot of system processes you might not know what they are so look for names of companies or the name of the software) and produce a list maybe to go off of. In 3 years of Mac tech support Mac OS itself is never the cause of the problem. Run a program called smart utility to verify your hard drive isn't failing with bad sectors.

7. macdoofus thread starter macrumors member

msevild, thanks. I ran smart utility and it gave me a "green light". I'll keep an eye on things but think it was Pages(iWork) related.