OSX Desktop folders missing!

nihilisticmonk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2005
Hey,

Weird problem here....

If I download files to my desktop (via safari or unison...haven't tested anything else yet)

It'll make the folder, or download the file, but the actual folder is missing!

for example

if I download from a newsgroup, unison is supposed to create the folder name of the downloads newsgroup on the desktop, but it doesn't!

If I go to terminal, and cd Desktop, the file is there, but under the GUI it just won't appear.

Sometimes if i do view and arrange by name, it'll appear, and other times it won't.

If I go to "save as" in a program such as word however, the file appears.

Sometimes just clicking on the desktop makes things appear!

Anyone got any help, as it's doing my head in. I've tried repairing permissions (snake oil of the osx world) but it hasn't worked.

Anyone got any ideas?

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
Seattle
What version of OS X are you running? I know older versions have had problems with "refreshing" -- which is done when you click on the folder (or Desktop, as it were).

nihilisticmonk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2005
Blackheart said:
What version of OS X are you running? I know older versions have had problems with "refreshing" -- which is done when you click on the folder (or Desktop, as it were).
10.4.8 on a macpro (updated from the 10.4.7 image factory installed)

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2006
London
im having the same problem on my c2d imac 24" ive been restarting the finder in force quit menu if it happens, that gets them to appear. havnt tried yet but gonna reset pram and check permissions when i get a chance.

nihilisticmonk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2005
speakerwizard said:
im having the same problem on my c2d imac 24" ive been restarting the finder in force quit menu if it happens, that gets them to appear. havnt tried yet but gonna reset pram and check permissions when i get a chance.
Are you running 10.4.8 as well?

I've noticed the same thing on my macbook pro, but very rarely, but on my macpro, it's happening nearly every time!

andrewfee

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2004
How about FileVault - do you have that enabled? I've found that interferes with a lot of applications.

untamedhysteria

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2005
have you tried using a different user? did files that you downloaded to the desktop show in the gui with the new user? if it did, it's most likely a user pref that's corrupted. I had this happen to me once (back on 10.4.5). And creating a different user, copying all my data to that new user, deleting the old and renaming the new user worked wonders....

hope that helps :)

edit: backing up the keychain before you delete the old user is also recommended.

nihilisticmonk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2005
untamedhysteria said:
have you tried using a different user? did files that you downloaded to the desktop show in the gui with the new user? if it did, it's most likely a user pref that's corrupted. I had this happen to me once (back on 10.4.5). And creating a different user, copying all my data to that new user, deleting the old and renaming the new user worked wonders....

hope that helps :)

edit: backing up the keychain before you delete the old user is also recommended.

I'll give that a go and see what happens! Thanks!

nihilisticmonk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2005
I've fixed it.

Anyone with a new Mac Pro with the same problem, download onyx from macupdate.com

On the maintainance tab :-
Run the daily,weekly, and monthly maintainance scripts (methinks there was a lot of logs from my factory installed image...it took ages to clear 'em down.)

reset "display of folders content"

on the Cleaning tab :-
Click execute on the internet section.
Same for the caches section
same for logs
same for misc options

After doing this, and a quick re-boot, My desktop is as healthy as on my old G5.

Sorted. :)

I knew I should have formatted it with the recovory disks as soon as I got it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.