osx does not detect my HD TV native resolution

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hey-u, May 19, 2008.

1. hey-u macrumors newbie

I am connecting my Macbook on my HD TV but the osx does not detect the appropriate native resolution. MY Samsung TV has a native resolution of 1365x768 but the osx only detects and offers 1280 or 1920 (they both look really bad on my TV).

I used a mini-DVI to DVI adapter and a DVI to HDMI cable.

I also tried, without success, to create specific display settings using SwitchResX and DisplayConfigX. (10.5.2)

I know that there is not a big difference between 1280 and 1365 but still, it's very annoying espacially that I my old PC with XP detected the right resolution as soon as connected it...

Thanks!

2. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

Did this work?

curious...because I'm buying a tv with the same resolution, and my mac mini is supposed to have a resolution of 1920x1080.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Huh? Since when did Mac minis have any kind of resolution? Monitors have resolutions. Computer support them. Most standalone widescreen monitors have 16:10 aspect ratio. If your HDTV has a DVI connector, then you can use the Displays preferences pane to set your computer to the proper pixel density.

4. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

No one has a clue how you are reading the page. What about it do you not understand?

6. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

My statement, "Am I just reading it wrong" was never intended to be literal. By your comment, you assumed that I thought the mac mini only has one resolution option. When infact what I was inferring about was the ideal resolution for hooking it up to a 720p HDTV (Here's a screenshot of the portion of the link I'm refering to...that I posted earlier, so you'll know exactly what I am talking about).

I see now, however, that I skimmed the part about supporting resolutions...up to 1920x1080.

My original question...Did this work? was referring to the SwitchResX "solution" to resolution problems similar to what the op was talking about.

...But I will settle for just about any information as to how to get the best picture when hooking up a mac mini to a widescreen 720p hdtv.

Attached Files:

7. DaveF macrumors 6502a

Ignore misterme, he's being rude for fun (apparently).

The mini, as with all computers, can support a variety of video resolutions. However, 1365x768 is not one of them, according to various posters. You can check by looking in the display settings on your mini.

I've not used SwitchResX, but it's free to try, so read the website for any gotchas and give it a go.

8. Methos600 macrumors newbie

TV VS MAC MINI Who Wins?

Obviously your not using a mini mac and a HD tv so you answer is not only not needed but unwanted. Yet to clue you in for some crazy reason our resolutions are screwed. It works dont get me wrong but its not working like it was before this big update.

9. Methos600 macrumors newbie

Ya its free for a limited time.

10. Methos600 macrumors newbie

TV VS MAC MINI Who Wins?

So my question to anyone anymore bright ideas. Im not paying out for anything when i have paid enuff out for MAC?