OSX Downloads /Installs

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MaxinMusicCity, Apr 21, 2013.

1. MaxinMusicCity macrumors regular

I am new to the Mac System so I need advice concerning OSX downloads. Is the OS download the same for both the Notebooks and Desktops? I know the drivers are going to be different, so I'm wondering if the OS will contain the drivers for both.

I'm asking this because I placed Snow Leopard, Lion, and Mountain Lion on individual Flash drives using my 2009 vintage MacMini. I plan on fully updating a friend's Macbook with one of these. Thank You. :apple:

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

The answer isn't that straight forward, it also depends on the macbook, for instance, a new 2012/13 Macbook can not run earlier OS versions than it came with, sometimes people hack these but overall it has to be the minimum it came with.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

upgrading your friend's macbook using your copy of osx is piracy and against the eula.

4. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

The drivers are the same (OS X is not like Windows in that way). OS X is the same for desktop and laptop… however if your friend wants to upgrade, he needs to buy it because (as was stated before) it's against the EULA

Also as was stated before, Macs usually can't run a version of OS X that is older than the machine. So you have to make sure that if you want to install a version of OS X on any machine, it must be at least the version the computer came with.

5. MaxinMusicCity thread starter macrumors regular

Clarification

I guess I should have mentioned that I am going to purchase the download for the friend in order to get it on HER flashdrive to do the update. She doesn't have broadband access and her notebook is 2008 vintage. So I figure Lion is as far as she can go with an upgrade /refresh.

Yes I buy all the upgrades and yes there are original OS discs guys.