OSX - DVD Player

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Freis968, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Freis968 macrumors 6502a

Freis968

I use MacTheRipper to rip my videos but I am not happy using HandBrake and streaming the result to my PS3 via MediaLink because of the fact that you lost the menu functionality of the DVD in terms of Special Features, Scene Selections and just the cool menus in general.

I can view the MacTheRipped DVD on my Mac Pro just fine using OSX's DVD Player.

My question is other than buying a Mac Mini and plugging it directly into my HDTV, which I don't want to do, is there any other way to go about watching the DVD's that I ripped onto my Mac Pro with menus intact [now don't be a smartass and say just put the DVD into my PS3]...such as a program that will allow you to stream or a way to copy the video onto my PS3 intact?

It seems if there was a way to get the OSX DVD Player onto the PS3 the problem would be solved.

2. displaced macrumors 65816

displaced

Essentially, the problem is that the intelligence required to display and interpret the menu and feature selection functionality of DVDs has to be implemented by the player.

The only solution to this would be if the PS3's player had the ability to open ripped DVDs stored as VIDEO_TS folders over a network.

By its very definition, streaming is not able to do this.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Actually streaming is possible, if the player can use those files, AND if you have a good connection (I use gigabit ethernet).
    Works perfectly streaming VIDEO_TS folder across the network from a PowerMac G4 (server) to any other Mac.

4. cdarlington1 macrumors regular

cdarlington1

handbrake

I don't think you can keep the menu's intact but using Handbrake, you can keep the chapter markers...don't know if that's a help...

5. displaced macrumors 65816

displaced

Yeah, I was using 'streaming' in the purest sense of the word: i.e. 'here's the start of the file, play through to the end', with tricks like buffering, hinting, etc.

I'd view opening a VIDEO_TS over the network as standard file-sharing.

Semantics, I know :)

6. MajereXYU macrumors regular

You may look into this application: Drive-In .

It's made by the same people that make the Flip4Mac WMV plug-in for Quicktime.

It seems to rip the DVD, menus intact, to your hard drive.

I don't know if they use a proprietary file type but it may work with your PS3.

Personally, I would buy a Mac Mini and use connect it to the TV.

In fact, it's what I'm going to do as soon as the Mini gets updated. I will use it as a home file-server, a HTPC (Frontrow) and as a Visualhub/Handbrake workhorse.

Low power usage, small footprint and plenty of power for those operations (especially after hardware update).