Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tanujmehta26

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2015
Hi All,

I just upgraded to El Capitan. After successfully installing it, the first thing I see is 'To use the"java" command line tool, you need to install a JDK' (Attached File 1)

1.png

I then installed the java update. (Attached File 2)

2.png

Next it prompted me to verify the java update. (Attached File 3)

3.png

After that I successfully verified the Java version. (Attached File 4)

4.png

On restarting my computer, I got the same message as I did when I first installed the new OS X. I un installed and re installed the java update 3 times, and it still gave me the same error each time. (Attached File 5)

5.png

If any one has any idea on how to fix this, please do let me know.

TIA

Tanuj

tanujmehta26

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2015
The JDK (Java Development Kit) is available on Oracle's website. Java website only gives you the JRE (Java Runtime Environment).

Thank you for your reply. I have no idea why the error dialog box would lead me to download JRE when it clearly says I need to download the JDK. Anyway, thanks to your tip I have been trying to download the dmg file from Oracles' website. For some reason the connection times out after downloading about 10 mb of 227 mb file. I tried downloading on 2 different macs (10.9.5 and El Capitan), using 2 different browsers (Safari and Chrome) on 2 different networks but end up with the same results each time. Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Screen Shot 2015-10-06 at 4.52.57 pm.png

Screen Shot 2015-10-06 at 4.52.00 pm.png

thericker52

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2015
Hi All,

I just upgraded to El Capitan. After successfully installing it, the first thing I see is 'To use the"java" command line tool, you need to install a JDK' (Attached File 1)

View attachment 590108

I then installed the java update. (Attached File 2)

View attachment 590110

Next it prompted me to verify the java update. (Attached File 3)

View attachment 590111

After that I successfully verified the Java version. (Attached File 4)

View attachment 590112

On restarting my computer, I got the same message as I did when I first installed the new OS X. I un installed and re installed the java update 3 times, and it still gave me the same error each time. (Attached File 5)

View attachment 590113

If any one has any idea on how to fix this, please do let me know.

TIA

Tanuj
I have a MacBook Pro, also running El Capitan and I updated the most recent version of Java, which is Java 8, update 91 and I get the same message you are getting. My system shows I have the latest Java update, but I keep getting this message popping up very often. If anyone can help it would sure be appreciated.

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
If you read through all the posts, you need to make sure you download the JDK, not the JRE. Specifically look at posts #2 and #3. If you believe you installed the JDK, you can run the "Terminal" program and type in "javac" on the command line and press the Return key. If it's installed properly, you'll get a screen full of information starting with "Usage: javac <options> <source files>". Otherwise, you'll get a "command not found" message. If you have the JDK installed and still are having issues, let us know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.