OSX Erase/Install Problems - might be me. Frustrated.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Hankcah, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Hankcah macrumors regular

Jul 8, 2010
    Selling the MacBook on craigslist. Of course I agree to meet the buyer at the end of the day. Agrees to asking price. So I go to erase/wipe/re-install everything. Of course things don't go as planned. I should've wiped the laptop before putting it up for sale. Why do I make life so hard. Anyways. I've done this at least 20 times before...so not sure why it's not working on this one. But I have not made my own bootable disk before. I always had the USB drive from Apple.

I wiped everything. - Erased from Disk Utility (I think it was)
    I downloaded El Capitan. 8GB USB drive for the new image.

Command C - doesn't find bootable disks
    Commend R - sees my WiFi but does NOT connect with my password. (I know 100% what my password is and tried on other devices.) Can't get pass that. Tried connecting to an open connection but doesn't look to be strong and get a -1006f error.
    Commend Option R - leads me to same location
    Option - shows 2 partitions on another harddrive with the same install OSX El Capitan file but when I select the partition, it doesn't move/recognize my clicks/enters and then shows me a Blinky Question mark Folder. [?]

USB bootable disk. I used Diskmaker X and it seemed to mount correctly. Showed the install files in the USB folder. If I simply drag/drog the Installer onto a USB / External HDD - will it function as needed? Do I need to update all of those lines that some instructional sites have? Seems a bit messy.

I've read the "Blinky Question mark Folder" - means the laptop's HDD is shot - but I doubt it considering I was just using it 1 hour ago. Last thing I want to do is buy a new SSD to install. But I may have to. On second thought, a shot SSD may be the better news.

Any thoughts. I seemed to be at a hairpulling dead end.
  2. Weaselboy Moderator

Staff Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Try temporarily opening up your wifi with no password. Internet recovery only works with certain types of wifi encryption (see halfway down this page). I believe that error message is due to a network problem and related to the wifi issue.