OSX - Finding serial number of lost discs

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Droooooj, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Droooooj macrumors regular

Is it possible to find out the serial number of the copy of OSX (10.4) I'm using if I've lost the discs?

Ie if I wanted to do a fresh install with borrowed discs, but wanted to keep my legit license, how would I go about it?

2. NSK123 macrumors regular

NSK123

osx doesn't use serial numbers or licenses. Just throw in the disc and install, It won't ask for any serialkey.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

OSX doesn't have serial numbers. You need either a retail disk or a restore disk that came with the same model of computer as yours.

4. Droooooj thread starter macrumors regular

So I can just do a fresh install with borrowed discs and I'm not breaking any laws?

What's a 'retail disc' by the way?

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

You payed for the OS when you bought your computer so you are OK, legal-wise (in my non-legal opinion. ;) )

6. Pixellated macrumors 65816

Yes.

A retail disc is one bought separately, and not bundled with a Mac.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

The grey install disks will only work with the model Mac they were sold with. The retail disks will install on any machine, up to a point. A retail install disk for 10.4 will probably not work on a brand new MBP. Apple will replace your original install disks for a small fee, it's called fulfillment disk.

8. MatchFrame macrumors member

My friend lost his install discs for Tiger, and he wants to do a fresh install. He owns an early gen Mac Pro. Do we just contact Apple with this information to get the fulfillment disc? Do you know how much the fee is?

9. pdjudd macrumors 601

Yes

probably about 20-30 dollars

10. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I think it's ten to fifteen actually

11. MatchFrame macrumors member

And do you only receive the OS associated with your serial number?

I just found out it's a G5 with Panther, but he upgraded to Tiger (but doesn't have the Tiger discs). Is there any way to get the Tiger discs from Apple (proof of purchase or something?)? Or is he stuck with Panther if he goes through Apple?

It's really irritating that they would stop manufacturing the final PowerPC OS and screw over all the people who can't afford to upgrade to the newer Intels (yet).

12. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Why not do an upgrade to Leopard ;) http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Mac-OSX-1...Domain_210?hash=item23044a9ff8#ht_4448wt_1154

13. pdjudd macrumors 601

Correct

Apple would have no way of knowing what you have purchased after the fact.

No - Apple had been in the intel game for many years... Anybody buying a PPC mac in the intel era had to know that PPC was not going to last and if your Mac was older than that, there probably was not much that your G5 could support that Apple could have done without wasting tons of man hours on supporting older architectures. As for Leopard, thats just the way Apple works - there are other routes that will still legally sell you Leopard.

14. MatchFrame macrumors member

I've become very Snow Leopard-centric and completely forgot Leopard supports PowerPC, too. I was thinking Tiger was the last one to support it. I've always had an Intel Mac Pro, so I've never had to think in terms of PowerPC.

I know that Apple wouldn't know he upgraded his OS through retail, but I was wondering if there was any way to prove it. Probably not. Just wishful thinking for my friend.

I know that "that's just how Apple does things" but it's lame to me that they don't make the final PowerPC OS available for purchase for those who still use (and love) their PowerPC Macs. It's been a few years, yes, but Nintendo made parts available for the NES for 20 years after it was no longer available for purchase. And all I'm talking about is some DVD discs to install it. For purchase.

15. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

If Microsoft had had their way, XP would have died just after Vista was released. The only difference is that Vista was so lame, that they couldn't do it. Now 7 is out, expect both Vista and XP not to be around for very long.

What I'm trying to say is that on a software support front, Apple and MS are very similar.