OSX - Finding serial number of lost discs

Droooooj

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2009
London, UK
Is it possible to find out the serial number of the copy of OSX (10.4) I'm using if I've lost the discs?

Ie if I wanted to do a fresh install with borrowed discs, but wanted to keep my legit license, how would I go about it?

NSK123

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2008
osx doesn't use serial numbers or licenses. Just throw in the disc and install, It won't ask for any serialkey.

Droooooj

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2009
London, UK
So I can just do a fresh install with borrowed discs and I'm not breaking any laws?

What's a 'retail disc' by the way?

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
The grey install disks will only work with the model Mac they were sold with. The retail disks will install on any machine, up to a point. A retail install disk for 10.4 will probably not work on a brand new MBP. Apple will replace your original install disks for a small fee, it's called fulfillment disk.

MatchFrame

macrumors member
May 2, 2008
Dallas, TX
The grey install disks will only work with the model Mac they were sold with. The retail disks will install on any machine, up to a point. A retail install disk for 10.4 will probably not work on a brand new MBP. Apple will replace your original install disks for a small fee, it's called fulfillment disk.
My friend lost his install discs for Tiger, and he wants to do a fresh install. He owns an early gen Mac Pro. Do we just contact Apple with this information to get the fulfillment disc? Do you know how much the fee is?

MatchFrame

macrumors member
May 2, 2008
Dallas, TX
And do you only receive the OS associated with your serial number?

I just found out it's a G5 with Panther, but he upgraded to Tiger (but doesn't have the Tiger discs). Is there any way to get the Tiger discs from Apple (proof of purchase or something?)? Or is he stuck with Panther if he goes through Apple?

It's really irritating that they would stop manufacturing the final PowerPC OS and screw over all the people who can't afford to upgrade to the newer Intels (yet).

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009

I just found out it's a G5 with Panther, but he upgraded to Tiger (but doesn't have the Tiger discs). Is there any way to get the Tiger discs from Apple (proof of purchase or something?)? Or is he stuck with Panther if he goes through Apple?

It's really irritating that they would stop manufacturing the final PowerPC OS and screw over all the people who can't afford to upgrade to the newer Intels (yet).
Why not do an upgrade to Leopard ;) http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Mac-OSX-1...Domain_210?hash=item23044a9ff8#ht_4448wt_1154

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Correct

Apple would have no way of knowing what you have purchased after the fact.

No - Apple had been in the intel game for many years... Anybody buying a PPC mac in the intel era had to know that PPC was not going to last and if your Mac was older than that, there probably was not much that your G5 could support that Apple could have done without wasting tons of man hours on supporting older architectures. As for Leopard, thats just the way Apple works - there are other routes that will still legally sell you Leopard.

MatchFrame

macrumors member
May 2, 2008
Dallas, TX
I've become very Snow Leopard-centric and completely forgot Leopard supports PowerPC, too. I was thinking Tiger was the last one to support it. I've always had an Intel Mac Pro, so I've never had to think in terms of PowerPC.

I know that Apple wouldn't know he upgraded his OS through retail, but I was wondering if there was any way to prove it. Probably not. Just wishful thinking for my friend.

I know that "that's just how Apple does things" but it's lame to me that they don't make the final PowerPC OS available for purchase for those who still use (and love) their PowerPC Macs. It's been a few years, yes, but Nintendo made parts available for the NES for 20 years after it was no longer available for purchase. And all I'm talking about is some DVD discs to install it. For purchase.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
I've become very Snow Leopard-centric and completely forgot Leopard supports PowerPC, too. I was thinking Tiger was the last one to support it. I've always had an Intel Mac Pro, so I've never had to think in terms of PowerPC.

I know that Apple wouldn't know he upgraded his OS through retail, but I was wondering if there was any way to prove it. Probably not. Just wishful thinking for my friend.

I know that "that's just how Apple does things" but it's lame to me that they don't make the final PowerPC OS available for purchase for those who still use (and love) their PowerPC Macs. It's been a few years, yes, but Nintendo made parts available for the NES for 20 years after it was no longer available for purchase. And all I'm talking about is some DVD discs to install it. For purchase.
If Microsoft had had their way, XP would have died just after Vista was released. The only difference is that Vista was so lame, that they couldn't do it. Now 7 is out, expect both Vista and XP not to be around for very long.

What I'm trying to say is that on a software support front, Apple and MS are very similar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.