OSX Firewall

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by det2004, May 7, 2009.

1. det2004 macrumors 6502

Can you run a 3rd party firewall such as Netbarrier side by side with the built in OSX firewall without any problems? I just want to make sure I am not reducing the effectiveness of the firewalls by running them together.

Also, does anybody have any experience with Intego's Netbarrier?

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

My experience with consumer-level software firewalls is that they're pretty much unneeded. Sure, it may have "features" not offered through the OS, but are they things you really require? The Mac's firewall is sufficient, and coupled with a NAT router, provides pretty much all the protection you need (outside of common sense, of course).

3. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Little Snitch is a good one to combine with OSX.

4. det2004 thread starter macrumors 6502

I understand most people feel this way, but it was free for me. Does anyone know if I can run netbarrier along with the osx firewall without them cancelling each other out, or should I turn one or the other off?

Thanks

5. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

The application firewall in System Preferences is horrible.

Netbarrier is a waste of money, as are any other firewalls that cost money

IPFW is the best firewall you can get. It comes with OS X, but is set to allow all traffic by default, and is hidden from view.

Download WaterRoof to configure it.

6. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Another vote for little snitch

7. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Remember, Little Snitch is only an outgoing firewall. You still need an incoming one.

8. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Which is why you combine with the Leopard one, works great :)

9. det2004 thread starter macrumors 6502

Again, Netbarrier was free for me....so can anyone answer the question of whether or not I can run it along with the OSX firewall, or if they will interfere with each other instead of just saying it's a waste of money or is unnecessary??
    :(

10. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

It shouldn't interfere.

IPFW is better than Netbarrier, though, and it's included with OS X (it's NOT the firewall in System Preferences.)

11. Flatfoot75 macrumors newbie

I run netbarrier on the strong configuration alongside OSX firewall. I don't which one is better than which but they seem like DO work well together.

12. Flatfoot75 macrumors newbie

Ok I thought it WAS found in the system preferences....if it is not, where CAN I find it?

13. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

In 10.5, the firewall in System Preferences is the application firewall. The IP firewall is hidden away in the UNIX subsystem. You can configure it via the "ipfw" command in the Terminal, or by WaterRoof.

In 10.4 and earlier, there is no application firewall, only IPFW, which is in System Preferences.

14. Flatfoot75 macrumors newbie

Sweeet! As you have probably guessed I am not a firewall guru. I am running Noobproof which according to the website the version for the "average user". Do you think this would be good enough or would you recommend Waterroof even though I am not of the "advanced level"?

15. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Noobproof will do the trick.

If you ever need to do something more advanced with ipfw, you can install Waterroof side by side, and use whichever one you need.

16. MactheRye macrumors newbie

Intego NetBarrier

Intego's NetBarrier Firewall and Virus Barrier X5 worth looking at and their support system - for product questions and problems (if any) is first class.
    Should be looked at.

Regards to all 'Mac' lovers

17. MactheRye macrumors newbie

NetBarrier and Mac Firewall

When I got NetBarrier i checked with Intego regarding their firewall and Mac's, asking if the Mac firewall had to be turned off. 'they can both run together' was Intego's reply - and I got that in writing!

NetBarrier is v good but takes time to read through the manual - but default set-up no problem.

Regards

18. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

You shouldn't run two firewalls side by side, but if your really paranoid netbarrier wont give you any issues. I stopped using it a while back because it slowed my download speeds too much.

19. wackymacky macrumors 65832

wackymacky

I a media person not a network person, but:

Sorry, but I can not see the sence in running two software firewalls side by side.

A firewall is a device that permits or denys ( and sometimes encrypt/decrypts) all computer traffic between different security domains based upon a set of rules and other criteria.

If you have your router managing NAT (network address translation) thus hiding machines' IPs and handling the port forwarding, combined with ANY one reasonable software fire-wall to examine that data packets comming in and out of the computer you should be secure.