OSX Folder Sharing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by robbyjai, Jun 9, 2011.

1. robbyjai macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I am relatively new to the Apple fold.. specifically OSX and still learning the ropes.

One thing I am trying to figure out is how secure.. is folder sharing.... I currently have a macbook pro and mac book air all running the latest version of OSX Snow Leopard.

I set up folder sharing in my Macbook Pro.. and on my air... the folders show up..

What I am trying to figure out is HOW safe and secure is my folder share ?? Can any one with a wireless network on a mac pick up my shared folders and get access to my files ?? OR do they have to be on my network to see ???

How can I set up password security .. so that IF you want to access this shared folder you are required to enter in a password like windows does.

No amount of searching either through the forum or google can give me the answer. hoping some guru here can help me. much appreciated

2. stefmesman macrumors 6502

only the people on your network can see. so be shure you got that locked.
    as for a password. i dont know. hope someone else will help you out on that,

3. fattire357 macrumors regular

Does anyone have a good method to sync folders over a network?

In Windows 7 you could just do "Offline Files." I have a lot of documents that I want to be able to spotlight search, and since Spotlight won't work on network shares without manually re-building the index on every connect, it'd be nice to have a synced folder where modifying the contents on one end modifies them both.

For now I've been doing Dropbox Pro but would rather not have a subscription...

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

In the Shared Folder section of System Prefs->Sharing->File Sharing you'll see a Users box, set everybody Everyone except you to "No Access"

Then only your username and password will be allowed to access that folder.

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Chronosync

6. robbyjai thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the response guys much appreciated