OSX font for statistics

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bob5820, Mar 7, 2010.

1. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

I'm looking for a font that could be used in text edit, numbers, excel, etc. that can display statistical symbols such as x-bar and p-hat. I can make these symbols in HTML or using the equation editor in Word 2007 but I'd like to find an OSX compatible font that will do the same.

x-bar = x̄
    p-hat = p̂

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Word 2007 is a Windows app. The newest Mac version of Word is Word 2008. Equation Editor uses a font named MT Extra. Windows users have the same font. It is installed when you install Office. If you chose to purchase a full-featured equation editor that requires a different font or fonts, then the required fonts will be installed with the application. You may use the free teTeX-based LaTeXiT equation editor. If you do, then it will use the fonts provided by your teTeX installation.

BTW, equations in Word are placed as vector graphics, not plain text. Equations on web pages are composed using the part of HTML known as MathML which borrows a lot from LaTeX.

3. bob5820 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bob5820

I should have been more clear that I'm using word 2007 through VMWare Fusion. You bring up a good point about that equation editor using vector graphics, which is why I was looking for a text solution. I was hoping there might be an easier solution then LaTex but I might just need to hunker down and learn it if it's the best solution.