OSX for Powerbooks

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Slrman, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Slrman macrumors member

Slrman

I am buying some used PowerBooks for resale here in Brazil. I would like to be able to do a fresh install of OSX 10.4 or 10.5 (depending upon model) on these systems, especially so I can have it in Portuguese for local buyers.

My problem is finding a place to buy or d/l the proper OS for each model. Is here a site that lists all of this? I have one that gives a lot of useful information (http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook_g4/index-powerbook-g4.html) but doesn't say specifically what build I need. Or is there a generic version that will work on a variety of PowerBooks?

Macs are just really coming into their own here in Brazil and I want to do my bit to help that by offering people the best-equipped used models I can.

Thanks for any tips.

2. zombitronic macrumors 65816

zombitronic

[​IMG]

Try Mactracker. I've found it to be an invaluable reference for all types of Mac models. The app is available for Mac, Windows and iPhone.

As long as it's compatible, the regular retail disc of OS X will install on your Mac just fine. You have to consider that even if a Mac came with 10.4 preinstalled, if you wanted to install 10.5 you would have to use a non-specific retail install disc. Check Mactracker for the maximum official supported OS.

Here are a few more links detailing system requirements:

Mac OS X 10.3: System requirements

Mac OS X 10.4: System requirements

Requirements for Mac OS X v10.5

3. Slrman thread starter macrumors member

Slrman

Thanks. This is the kind of thing I was hoping to find. Apparently, the retail version (black CDs) will install on any Mac the meets the minimum requirements. I am not so much concerned with having the absolute latest version as I am with a clean install in Portuguese. Many of my buyers are students without much money and little or no knowledge of English. So I would like to make things easier for them.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Why should this be a problem? MacOS X supports Brazilian.

5. Slrman thread starter macrumors member

Slrman

I understand that. But can it be changed after the original installation if you don't have the install CDs? If so, that would solve most of the problem! :)

6. Xavier macrumors 68020

Very cool app here! Thanks for sharing

7. Furrybeagle macrumors 6502

Furrybeagle

You pick a language when you begin installation. You can easily change the language from System Preferences, and during the install process you can choose what languages are installed. You don’t need the CD to change the language.