OSX gets stuck on grey screen after password entry

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by shakerz, Mar 23, 2015.

1. shakerz macrumors newbie

My MBP froze last night so I had to shut it down but now I'm unable to get past the login screen.

I boots up normally and I get to enter my password. Once I hit enter there's a small loading bar that stays on the screen for 5-10 seconds before it disappears. After that there's just a grey screen and the fans start running at full speed.

Any idea what the problem might be?

2. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Boot into safe mode (hold down shift-key when rebooting) and see if the issue still happens. Also, try resetting PRAM and SMC.

3. shakerz thread starter macrumors newbie

Same problem when booting into safe mode :( Resetting PRAM and SMC didn't help either.

4. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

See if you can boot into the recovery partition, hold down CMD-R while rebooting. Open Disk Utility, try repairing the hard drive and see if there are some issues with the hard drive. Also do a repair permissions while you are in Disk Utility. Reboot and see if the issue still happens.

If that does not work then give this a try: http://macs.about.com/od/Troublesho...e-A-New-User-Account-When-You-Cant-Log-In.htm.

5. shakerz thread starter macrumors newbie

Same problem when trying to boot into the recovery partition. And it won't let me start in single user mode either.

Guess its time to get a new laptop. Thanks for the help.

6. Taz Mangus, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2015

Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Try reinstalling OS X from the recovery partition: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314. This won't do a clean install.

EDIT: Are you saying that you can't even boot into the recovery partition? If that is the case, then I suggest that you give AppleCare a call. You do get free AppleCare phone support for Yosemite.