OSX Help

canadianmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2002
Ottawa
Ok...here is my problem. I installed OSX on my (older iMac: G3 400 - DV, 320MB RAM). However, I went from OS 8.6 directly to OS X. I canèt seem to install OS 9.1.

Can anyone give me any pointers - words of adviceÉ

Cheers,

CanadianMac

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Kent, UK
whilst you're at it, you may as well create a new partition, specifically for os9.

Then just boot up from the cd, and install away...

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
you cant install os9 after x
sure you can. when i first got my iBook i formatted and did OSX only. when i decided i wanted OS 9...i installed it. I have since then removed it yet again.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
you cant install os9 after x
Well, yes and no. You can install OS 9 on a computer running OS X.
(1) If you do not have OS 9 installed, you need to boot and install from the CD.
(2) If you want to upgrade 9.1 or 9.2 from a downloadable upgrade, boot up in Classic, then install the software.

The directions that came with the OS X System Software box said that if you have a previous version of Mac OS (8.1 through 9.0.4) you must upgrade to 9.2 first (using the CD). If you install OS X with a computer running OS 8.x or 9.0.4 for "Classic", then you might not be able to upgrade.

Lemon, what happened to the avitar? It was up yesterday . . . Did it fly away?

canadianmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2002
Ottawa
OSX Help: Thanks

Thank you all for the help. I was able to install OS9.2 after installing OSX. I booted from an old 9.1 CD, then installed. Then upgraded to 9.2.2. All seems to be well. Thanks again.

Cheers.
Canadian Mac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.