OSX iMAC and FIREWIRE HELL

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DigitalDorf, Feb 6, 2009.

1. DigitalDorf macrumors newbie

I have a Panasonic PV-GS15 camcorder that has usb and Firewire support.

I Current have a 2007 iMac 24" 2.4 with 10.56 installed, and I have been having tons of problems with OSX recognizing the camera.

It seems I need to reboot the machine, turn on the camera and do my importing, but once I turn off the camera and try to use it again later It requires me to unplug reboot and repeat the process each time.

I have had to disable the isight camera in order for it to even get this far.

It's a royal pain in the butt, and I'm wondering if anyone else had these types of problems? My Camera can not import video via USB so Im stuck using the firewire.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Before you turn the camera off or unplug it, are you ejecting it from the Mac by dragging the desktop icon to the trash? If you properly eject, then unplug, you should be able to plug it back in and have it mount properly, without rebooting.

3. producer12 macrumors newbie

similar problem

i feel your pain. i have a sony hd1000u and i think i damaged the firewire port on the camera and/or blew the port on my imac. i can't find another firewire product to buy to test the imac. i am sure it is user error all the way around. very frustrating ... to spend this much money and then to so easily screw it all up.

4. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Do video cameras typically mount? I have a Sony that uses 8mm tape, but it does not show up like a HD - works fine with iMovie and Photo Booth. OTOH, I do not have an iSight

5. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Video cameras do not typically mount at all. That is incorrect - especially with a Tape Based camcorder. (I have a Canon MD-205 and a MD-101 both are Mini-DV FireWire camcorders). Both are routinely connected to my MacBook and then disconnected/reconnected frequently and all I have to do is open iMovie, select the camera and click "import". (This is on a Machine with a built-in iSight :) )

6. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Have you looked in System Profiler? When you turn it off and back on, it should appear listed in System Profiler under FireWire.