OSX iMac restore discs on a powerbook?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by createdculture, Mar 21, 2010.

1. createdculture macrumors newbie

I know this question has to have been asked but I just wanted to verify real quickly.

I sold my iMac aluminum and bought a used macbook pro that didn't come with the OSX recovery discs. Can I use the OSX discs that came with my iMac as backups for the macbook? I have heard that the software is tied to a particular machine but I just wanted to verify before I buy a new copy of Snow Leopard.

THANKS!

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

No, you cannot
    They are machine type specific

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

No, you can't use the iMac disks with your PowerBook. You shouldn't even have the iMac disks; you should have included them with the iMac when you sold it.

4. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

yeah as I buyer I would be upset to know you had the disks but did not include them, as the iMac recover disks are worthless to you, and the person that bought the iMac will now have to either find an iMac recovery disk or purchase Snow Leopard themselves.

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

SL is $29 for the "upgrade" pack, that's your best bet.

Restore discs as mentioned, are model/generation specific.

6. createdculture thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info; I thought that was the case but couldn't find an article to definitively back it up.

Also, for the record, I did provide the OSX recovery discs to the gentlemen who bought my iMac. He installed Snow Leopard so he offered to give the discs back to me if I could use them on my macbook.