OSX Install CD replacement?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sir. mac, Jan 26, 2008.

1. sir. mac macrumors regular

Hello,

I bought MBP 15" about a year ago, and never used the supplied OSX (Tiger) cd. Recently I needed to use hardware-test and tried to boot up, but the CD just spat out :eek:

Was unable to mount the cd within the OS also, it just spits it out.
    So my question is basically this: Does apple have some kind of warrant for broken CD´s, some kind of restock option? Or is it just buy me a spanking new leopard or nothin?

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If you have a broken disc they may be able to ship you a replacement, I'd talk to Apple, but first clean the disc, and check if it works in another computer.

3. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

Ensure that the disc is clean and free of dirt/dust/debris and make sure it isn't scratched. Insert the disc with the text on the disc facing you so that you can read it (basically, line up the words "MacBook Pro" horizontally along the front of the MacBook Pro) and insert it into the SuperDrive.

If that doesn't work, I'd contact Apple about your options or see an Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Reseller/Technician to see if they can help.

4. funkychunkz macrumors 6502a

funkychunkz

Does the drive work for other disks?

The DVD needs to be in there before the 'bong' to boot from it. You might try using the startup disk panel in system preferences to set the startup volume. Also, if you end up replacing the disc, you will need the OEM DVD since the retail is PPC only. Leopard, in case you're wondering, comes on a universal disk.

5. sir. mac thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everybody. I phoned Apple yesterday, and they said I could just take my broken Tiger-disx and eat ****, basically. They wouldn´t resupply me, not even for some bit of cash.

Looks like Leopard it is then. Luckily it costs nought.