OSX Install help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MonkeySee...., Nov 2, 2015.

1. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Hi Everyone,

Appreciate you looking at this thread to help!

I have just received my iMac (2010 i3, 21.5" ) back from a computer shop. They said they had it running all night and all was well but when I turn it on it will restart after about 5 mins ish. They had Yosemite running on it.

I thought maybe there was an issue as I was trying to update the OS via the Mac AppStore so in the end I tried to reinstall the OS via Time machine. Nope, it keeps restarting and then gets stuck on 16% and doesn't move. Left it all night and nothing still the same. Tried Internet Recover. nope just keeps restarting.

I'm not sure what to do now as it just boots into diagnosis mode.

Any thoughts?

2. Ebenezum macrumors 6502a

Booting into diagnostic mode means there is some kind of problem with the OS.

If you have made a clone of iMacs drive then you can try booting into it by keeping Option pressed during startup and select clone from the screen. If it starts and everything works normally then it's likely that problem is in iMacs drive.

If the clone has similar problems then it's likely be different hardware issue and I would take iMac back to shop.

If you don't have a clone then its easiest to take iMac back to shop and let them handle it.

3. MonkeySee.... thread starter macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Thats for your reply. I called them up and they suggest that the memory may be dodgy. I gave it to them with 8gig of ram and they returned it with 5!?

They are sending that out and then my friend is making a bootable usb drive of yosemite.

Fingers crossed!

4. Raavi1 macrumors newbie

Hi, Did they check your HDD Cable? I had the same issue with my Macbook Pro Laptop, after checking i came to know that it was the SATA Cable connecting the HDD had gone, As soon as it was replaced, laptop was working fine. If your IMac is still restarting continuously, Advise you to take it to authorised Apple Service center and have it checked once.

5. MonkeySee.... thread starter macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Thanks, Raavi1. I'll see what happens then check that advice. Appreciate the reply!