OSX Install on a new hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sup3rknova, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Sup3rknova macrumors regular

Sup3rknova

Whats up all, i posted before that i will be installing a new, bigger hard drive on my Imac. (5,2)
    Im taking it to an Apple certified tech for the switchout but he charges another 80 bucks to "reload" software. Im like, I think i can put my OSX discs in and install it myself. lol Anyways, With the brand new hard drive installed, will i have issues with the discs? Like maybe the discs will notice its not the original harddrive that came with the mac and not want to install? Im not worried about the data. I want to make sure the drive is up and running before i transfer anything over. Im also going to buy the hard drive online at a cheaper price and just pay for the switchout. Any specific brand i should get? I know i need a SATA drive. Just curious about the brand and the install. Thank you. :apple:

2. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

Disc issue is not a problem so no worries.

In terms of drive to buy:
    Hierarchy of drives by quality: (highest to lowest)
    Seagate, Western Digital (no complaints to date)
    Maxtor (had varying success)
    Hitachi (never lasted more then 2-3 years for me)
    Fujitsu (worst drives you will ever own they break after a year or less)

Caveat: I do a good bit of data intensive hard drive wearing work on my computers so take this as its meant personal experience.

Cheers

3. 87vert macrumors 6502

87vert

If you get an external enclosure you can hook up your new drive in and use CarbonCopyCloner to make an exact copy of your current drive. Then have the new drive installed in the iMac