OSX install on both SSD and HDD (optical bay). Questions!!!

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by ls1dreams, Dec 18, 2013.

1. ls1dreams macrumors 6502

Quick question:

I just did a clean Mavericks on a new SSD in my primary slot on my laptop.

I moved my mechanical HDD to the optical bay in a caddy. For now, I'd like to keep the mechanical HDD there as a bootable option until Mavericks proves itself reliable. In the future I would wipe the drive and use it solely for data.

However, in the meantime, my Mavericks OSX installation seems to be a bit confused by it. For example, if I go to "open with", it will give me the option of opening the file with one of my old apps on the HDD drive.

Is there anyway to prevent Mavericks from accessing those apps and settings?

Basically:

Mavericks: (on SSD)
    - all new apps installed, completely fresh install of everything including apps
    - my primary boot drive

SL 10.6.8 (on HDD)
    - contains everything from before (OS and data)
    - has some old apps that I no longer plan to use
    ** apps on this drive will show up in the "open with" option in the mavericks boot partition above, and I'd like them not to.

2. ssls6 macrumors 6502a

ssls6

exclude the HDD from spotlight (in system preferences)…

3. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

Or just exclude the apps folder and not the whole drive so you can still search it...

4. ls1dreams thread starter macrumors 6502

Will that also keep them out of the context/open-with menus?

Since they are already indexed, do I need to rebuild the index or something?

Also, I'd still want my documents and pictures/etc indexed. Is it possible to exclude just the apps folder?

5. SgtPepper23 macrumors regular

unrelated to your question, directly, but just a piece of information. I'd move the mechanical HDD back to the original slot, since in there is where the Sudden Motion Sensor only works, and place the SSD in the optical bay. Thats how i have my setup, hardware-wise.

Mavericks has proven to be highly stable, almost more so than Snow Leopard, and definitely way more than Lion and Mountain Lion. The previous poster has the right idea, exclude the stuff on your HDD from Spotlight search. Good luck!

6. ls1dreams thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I'm aware of that, but the primary slot is SATA6 while the secondary slot is SATA3. I'm not willing to give up the SATA6 performance for the motion sensor =/

7. ssls6 macrumors 6502a

ssls6

Launchservices database….I don't remember the terminal command for Mavericks. I've grown lazy and use cocktail. Onyx will also do it.

8. stooovie macrumors 6502a

Excluding folder from spotlight will also exclude it from the other install. Just do you know.

9. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

No it won't. Unless the other install was linked to his ssd install in some way they would both have separate settings plists.

10. stooovie macrumors 6502a

Hm, no, AFAIK escluding a folder from Spotlight writes something to that folder so any OSX doesnt index it. This has been my experience with 10.5-10.8.5 and no, those installations arent linked in any way.

Exclude on install A = excluded on installs B and C too. On my systems anyway.