Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hockey Nut

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2003
Battle Creek
I have a slotloading G3 imac that my son is using. He wants me to install OSX on it.

The version that shipped with the computer is 10.0. I don't want to install it for fear of all the problems that were associated with it.

Can I install OSX off the disc from my 12" PB or 1.25 PM?

If not I guess he's stuck with 9.2 at least until Panther comes out.

Thanks!

fc490e9c.jpg

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2002
Charles City, Iowa
Re: OSX install on G3 imac

Originally posted by Hockey Nut
I have a slotloading G3 imac that my son is using. He wants me to install OSX on it.

The version that shipped with the computer is 10.0. I don't want to install it for fear of all the problems that were associated with it.

Can I install OSX off the disc from my 12" PB or 1.25 PM?

If not I guess he's stuck with 9.2 at least until Panther comes out.

Thanks!

No, I'm afraid you can't install OS X off the Software Restore or Install CD's for your PowerMac or PowerBook. You'd have to run out and buy a Jaguar installation disk to get the computer up and running in OS X 10.2. Os X 10.0 did have a lot of problems as you suspected. I'll be glad to anwer any other questions you have.:)

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
I bought OSX discs off of eBay awhile back since I sold my origionals with a Powermac I had awhile back, and they were labeled iMac Software Install Discs One and Two (OSX) and an OS9.2.2 Install disc also and both worked fine on my iBook, no problems.

unc32

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
yes, you can install off the disks provided with your powerbook. I have done it. You can't use the system restore disks but there is a disk just of system software. It is titles OSX install disk or something like that. It is there so you can reload the system software without doing a complete restore. It will work on any computer! We use one disk on all of our machines (4 different ones)

Hockey Nut

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2003
Battle Creek
My Powerbook and Powermac, each have a disc called "Software Install and Restore"
It doesn't work. The G3 spits out the disc
D****.
Oh well, I guess I'll wait for Panther.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Nope. Can't do it. The 12" PowerBook only has one disc with it. It is a DVD-R and everything is on that one disc. No seperate discs any longer for X etc.

I have 10.2.5 on my daughters iMac G3 500 and it runs fine. She does have 512MB Ram in it though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.