OSX install on hard drive with XP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mac-sauce, May 4, 2012.

1. mac-sauce macrumors newbie

First time poster, hoping someone can help me with this odd situation I'm in. I have a 15" macbook pro (A1226) that I swapped a hard drive into that previously had Windows XP on it. I figured I could boot to our network instance of DeployStudio to slap an image onto it. I held down the N key to do so, get the globe spinning but then I get the folder with the ? mark.

So I figured that is understandable so I'll just boot to a snow leopard install disk I have. I tried that, held down the C key and it won't boot to the install disk either. Then what happened completely surprised me, the machine actually booted into Windows XP. Never setup boot camp on it, just installed the hard drive and powered on. I can't do anything since the keyboard and touchpad drivers aren't installed but it goes to the login screen... but that's not really the issue anyways. I just want to install OSX onto this hard drive I put in there. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

Try holding down the option key when booting. Specifically, hold after the startup bong. You can then choose the SL DVD from the boot menu. You will likely have to use Disk Utility on the SL CD to format or at least create a partition in the free space prior to starting the installation.

3. mac-sauce thread starter macrumors newbie

4. mac-sauce thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried holding down the option key and it did bring me to the boot menu but it only showed the Windows hard drive and then upon getting to that point it ejected the SL install disk. I tried it a couple times and the same thing happened each time.