OSX Installation. No CD.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MC26348, Sep 19, 2012.

1. MC26348, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2012

MC26348 macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I hope you can help. I'm currently writing this from studio. Basically we have an issue with a Mac Book Pro. Our installation CD is missing.

We need to reinstall the OS from scratch as the account, and pretty much everything else is locked in my prior employee's name, so it seems.

The computer is running 10.6.8, we're wondering if we purchased OSX Mountain Lion from the App Store, that we'd be able to reconfigure the computer upon installation? Wipe the HD and start afresh with a new account etc. Is this possible?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes... if you buy Mountain Lion from the app store on another machine and use the install DMG with this free app to make yourself a 8GB USB key installer, you can do what you want.

After you make the USB key just hold the option key when you boot and select the USB key. Once the install screen starts look in the Utilities menu and select Disk Utility then use it for reformat the entire disk. Then proceed with the install.

This will give you a fresh install with nothing but the OS and whatever new account you put in the machine.

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Some MacBook Pros cannot run a system newer than 10.6.8. What model is the one in question?

4. MC26348 thread starter macrumors newbie

Latest model, core i7.

Thanks for the suggestion, we've tried the USB key method and it works perfectly. Can't thank you enough.

Cheers