OSX Installer?!?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Dopeyman, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Dopeyman macrumors 6502a

I did a fresh install of Yosemite on the SSD. Ever since then the OS X Installer icon/drive is there when I hit option at startup. How do I get rid of it?

Attached Files:

2. sharon22 macrumors regular

I could be wrong (I usually am), but when one downgrades to Yosemite, it installs a Recovery Partition.

Inside the Recovery Partition is a Yosemite Installer.

Don't want to get rid of that, now, do we...

3. Dopeyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've gotten rid of the recovery partition before. I don't need it.

Also, it only appears when I hit option at startup. It's not listed when I run Disk Utility.

4. sharon22 macrumors regular

On my iMac, I have enabled the "Debug Menu" in Disk Utility (instructions here:
    http://macs.about.com/od/usingyourmac/qt/Enable-Disk-Utilitys-Debug-Menu.htm)

When the Debug Menu is enabled, you can choose to "List All Disks."

I think your hidden disk will now show up, once you've enabled the Debug Menu, and Listed All Disks.

Also (be careful when you do this please), you can fire up your Terminal Application and type:

sudo diskutil list

and hit the enter key (and then type your password if prompted), and then your Terminal Window will list all the hidden disks, too...

I think. (I could be wrong)

Now, back to your original post -- I am thinking that this is what you want. Please correct me if I'm wrong:

=======
    You have this weird extra disk showing up, and since you don't need it, you simply want to get rid of it. In other words, if there's a partition there, well, lets get rid of it!
    =======

Right?

Okay, here are my thoughts on that. First of all, YES, you can easily delete partitions (google something like
    osx delete partition without losing data
    )

BUT, sometimes the Mystery Partition you want to delete is sandwiched between two other partitions, OR, it is in an unusual order. If THAT is the case, then when you delete the partition, you will NOT be able to recover that free space. It will be just dead, blank, unusable free space.

And, I tell ya'... THAT'S as annoying as all git go!

If that's the case, you're better off KEEPING the partition.

How do I know all of this? Well, I'm the most OCD retentive perfectionist you'll ever meet, and I had the same thing! It drove me nuts that I had these missing Free Space abysses on my hard drive. (Operationally, doesn't matter one whit.... but being OCD as I said, it drove me nuts).

What I ended up doing was backing up to an external disk, completely erasing my Hard Drive with the Mavericks installer, then doing a clean install of mavericks, and then doing a total system restore.

Now, everything is PERFECT, just how Apple intended!

And, yes, I DO have a recovery partition, it's there IF you will need it. The minute you get RID of it, will be the minute you curse the world for ever letting yourself get rid of it :)

5. Dopeyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you for your reply. I should have mentioned that I do have the debug option already turned on through disk utility. :D

It's puzzling me that it popped up after doing a fresh install of Yosemite. It wasn't there when I did Mavericks.

I removed the recovery partition via disk utility as well. But this installer is really bugging me. I'm a LITTLE bit OCD :D

6. sharon22 macrumors regular

Okay fellow OCD person, here's something that's extra fun to do (when you are all done partitioning/departitioning):

Get a hold of Disk Warrior.

And do a complete Directory Rebuild.

Nothing in this world compares to the feeling (overwhelming bliss) of looking at the pristine smooth graph Disk Warrior gives you when it says "Your Directory Has Been Successfully Rebuilt!"

(And then polish the screen, hepa vacuum the keyboard, and call it a day!)

:p