OSX Lion Download Only ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fingleburt, Jun 17, 2011.

1. fingleburt macrumors member

Need to ask a slightly dim question, I know Lion is being released on the Mac App Store. Does this mean that Lion is not going to be preinstalled on new mac's anytime soon ?

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

It will be preinstalled on all new macs once it is released.

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Apple is currently holding all new release hardware until Lion is release according to MacRumors. They would also begin shipping existing hardware with it upon release of Lion.

4. AFPoster macrumors 65816

New Mac's will have it pre-installed, old ones with Snow Leopard will use the Mac App Store but they will also sell the disc if you desire it but you have to get it from the Store.

5. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Where have you heard that it will be available on disc? I've heard app store only.

6. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

All of the talk from Apple has only mentioned availability from the Mac App Store. The only clue suggesting an alternative method is on this page where it says "To upgrade on day one" with instructions for the MAS.

You could take that to mean that they may make it available on disc at a later date but it's currently just pure speculation.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You have a link with that info, because apple has only stated that 10.7 will only be available via the MAS. I'm hoping it will be available on disc, and/or I'll have to make my own

8. AFPoster macrumors 65816

Give me a minute, looking for the article I read, maybe I misread but I hope not.

9. AFPoster macrumors 65816

This link: http://www.appleinsider.com/article..._os_x_lion_through_mac_app_store_sources.html

I remember reading this somewhere else from an actual Apple rep can't find that one though.

10. davmcn macrumors regular

I went into the Apple Store last week asking the same question, and they said according to their knowledge, it's only through the Mac App Store, and also, apparently you can't burn the image to a disc either. Which totally blows.

11. AFPoster macrumors 65816

I'd love for it to be Mac App Store only, but I highly doubt it will be especially if you think of people with the slow connections like the article states. Then again maybe you'll just bring your Mac to Apple they'll do it, who knows.

12. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Apple has never been shy about leaving a few unfortunate souls out in the cold.

13. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Not true - How to burn a Lion disc.

14. AFPoster macrumors 65816

This is true, but I don't foresee this happening with Lion.

15. Ccrew macrumors 68020

I think it will be hand delivered by 72 virgins.

Heck, it's all rumor and speculation anyway, might as well make it a good one.

16. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

Wasn't it confirmed that Lion would create its own recovery partition? Doesn't solve the problem of the bandwidth consumed by the initial 4GB but at least prevents wastage in future.

17. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

interesting since it's already been burned to discs, put on thumb drives, SD cards, etc. ;)

18. AFPoster macrumors 65816

I'll bet my lucky pencil it'll be offered on a disc as well.

19. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Also doesn't solve the problem of reinstalling after replacing your drive.

20. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

you can redownload the OS from the MAS at any time. You can also use bootcamp or other migration tools to clone your old drive to the new drive (assuming your drive didn't go poop on you).

If it did, then you always have the option of burning Lion to your own DVD, putting it on an SD card, a USB thumb drive, an external HDD, etc. so that you can install the OS at any time on any drive just like if Lion were to come on a disc.