OSX Lion for MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by saberahul, Jun 25, 2011.

1. saberahul macrumors 68040

I bought my MBP on June 6th so that qualifies me for the free upgrade to Lion. Now according to the press release by Apple:
    Here is my question: submit exactly what and where? Anyone know?

2. saberahul thread starter macrumors 68040

Cool, thanks. Did not know that page existed. I hope they send out some email reminders but now that I know I will put an alarm for sure.
    I doubt anyone would know but what if you don't follow forums and tech news and buy a computer and aren't made aware of this? (I wasn't made aware of this by anyone - just happened to stumble upon it since the clerks told me that it wouldn't be for free) Does that mean that if you don't do this up to date program or aren't sent an email that you wouldn't get the $29 discount?
    Again, I doubt anyone would know but if you do please share.

3. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Question for you, when you bought the computer did you give them an email or something? I guess they might have asked for an email wanting to give you information int he future? If so, they might use that and email people they put on a special list to go and do that.

But of course when it does come out they'll have advertisements and whatnot on their site. Also, you have to get it through the App store; if someone goes to the System Update, I'm sure it will lead them there and somehow analyze and tell the person they can get it for free.

OR they could just not be telling people. if they don't tell you, you're likely to just pay the 30 bucks. Of course, "we" know it will be free but the average mom/dad/student might not. Meh, more money in the bank.

4. saberahul thread starter macrumors 68040

You have a good point and I agree with that. When I purchased it they asked me for my iTunes account and that is where my MacBook Pro's warranty (Apple Care) was forwarded to. For my receipt I gave them another address (Gmail) where they sent me the digital copy of it. But when I checked my email, I received the Getting Started with your Mac and Apple Care emails in my AOL (which is what I use for my iTunes account).

I think they will probably send me an email at my AOL address (iTunes account) and say that you are eligible for the free discount and what not. Since it is through the App Store, the only way i think of them giving it to me for free is through a promo code; maybe they will just send one out the day Lion is released.

Another interesting point, the PR states that you must submit your claim within 30 days of purchase starting June 6. Apple said that Lion will be released in July so for both statements to be valid - Lion must be released before or on July 6. If it is released on July 7 or after, then people who purchased their Mac's on June 6th will no longer be in the 30 day timeframe.

5. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Concerning the last part, not necessarily; you might have to submit the claim and acknowledge that you want Lion for free but that doesn't mean it will come out then. This could confirm your email and put you on a list, allowing for an automatic, free redeem of Lion when you go and download it.

They could just keep track of who's iTunes email is on the list and when you sign in, ask you if you want your free version of Lion.

Of course, I'd prefer your way (not getting it for free but I'd love to get it sooner lol) but it doesn't confirm it.

On a side note, digital video games do this sometimes too. You're able to purchase the game and actually download it before it's released. It won't be playable however, and upon release date the game will be activated and allow playing. They could be doing that here.

Just playing devil's advocate. I really hope you're right though lol

6. saberahul thread starter macrumors 68040

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

Well the GM is released so I'd say it's a good chance it may come by July 6. Not sure but how long is the period between develop seeds?

7. Young Spade macrumors 68020

I saw that today. I'm excited. My ability to get a new Air depends on the selling of my current BlackBook so as soon as I can do that I'll jump on the new machines.