OSX Lion Install = Epic Fail

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by jspoto, Jul 20, 2011.

1. jspoto macrumors newbie

Hello -

I am a longtime user, and Apple developer, and I'm posting this in the hope the it is not a completely futile gesture (repost of my similar Apple Support discussion)

I purchased the 10.7 Lion today, having the latest SL updates applied to my (previously well working) system (10.6.8). No other Lion Betas / GM installs were attempted prior to todays purchase + install.

I downloaded and ran the installer, after restarting and closing all apps. After it ran a bit, the system reset as it entered the "real" part of the system install (with the gray linen background). After a few minutes, to my horror I received the "Installation Failed" message full screen, with the yellow "warning" sign / exclamation mark (almost exactly like the icon for this post)

The irony -- "The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance." I would find this deeply funny if it weren't so serious. This would be the epic fail part, for anyone following along...

Here are the relevant contents of the install log, from where the trouble began. The below text started immediately after the successful installation of "JavaEssentials.pkg":
    The dialogue asked to reset the install, at which point it simply restarted the above process, looping infinitely through starting up, and error'ing out, as per above. Unfortunately, nothing in the installer at this point allows for a revert, and no bootup /safe mode options (ie shift key) worked. In fact, they appeared to have no effect.

I have already been to the Genius Bar today, without much help -- they simply wiped my drive and re-installed 10.6 (something I could have done myself with my SL disc).

At this point, I am either going to revert everything to 10.6, via a Time Machine migration of my backup from right before the install, or buckle down and see things through, by doing a clean SL -> Lion install, and then cherry-picking by data/apps to migrate (a non-trivial affair, I might add).

Any help or suggestions in easing the pain are greatly appreciated. A key issue I would like to avoid, is reverting to SL only to repeat this process once I do actually choose to install Lion.

Thanks in advance,

- js

(PS - I'm running an MBPro 6,2 w/ 8GB ram)

2. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

The only thing I can suggest is for you to try an alternative method of installation, such as a bootable DVD or USB drive. If you go the USB route, make sure that "ignore user permissions on this volume" ("Get Info" on the USB Drive) is UNCHECKED prior to beginning the install process.

3. torana355 macrumors 68020

Why do you have to do this?? Also on lion is says "ignore ownership on this volume"

4. jiminaus macrumors 65816

jiminaus

Just in case and don't take offense but it's got be asked, did you have enough free space on Macintosh HD? Had you check Macintosh HD for errors before upgrading?

It might be an interesting experiment to install Lion from the clean Snow Leopard, just to confirm it works.

5. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

I don't understand. Why didn't you have them put Lion on it while you were there?

I would forego anything to do with SL at this point. Simply read the countless threads here on how to make a bootable copy of Lion and install from that. The problem you may have is that your download may be gone and you might have to download it again.

6. enberg macrumors regular

7. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

My guess, from experience being a consultant dealing with primarily macs, would be that you either had a bad download (unlikely as I think it checksums after download) or you may have bad HD sectors. A surface scan using something like techtool will reveal this, but take a long time to run. It may also be that you just had some file corruption in something it was trying to upgrade, and the fresh install followed by migration assistant (leaving out apps and system components) from time machine will do a pretty good job of bypassing this usually.

8. jspoto thread starter macrumors newbie

in response...

to a few of the questions asked on this thread (and thanks for the suggestions thus far).

1) I had plenty of free space -- roughly 250MB of 500 MB free.

2) I asked about getting Lion installed on site there, but the fact of the matter is, the Apple stores are not prepared to deal with this. They had a couple of "recommended" (ie documented) paths to offer, and they strongly suggested I got via SL, given that I need to migrate a number of things.

Granted I don't *have* to migrate, but a clean install and fix-up will take days or weeks to get back to what I need for my environment. Everything from DB's to dev toolchains, to things like fonts and CS5.

3) I did prepare for the upgrade, but not for a clean reset... given this, and given that I need to be up and running again ASAP, there's no reason push ahead with the Lion update right now. That is, unless I can seamlessly upgrade from SL like I was supposed to :p

9. Feylong macrumors newbie

I have experienced installation issues and I had to use Disk Utility to do a verify and repair on my start up disk and after that, the install worked fine. It did take around 2-3 hrs when the progress bar says 26 mins so might be worth giving that a try.

10. NeddyO macrumors newbie

500MB is not enough free space on you HDD

This is not enough free space for a system to even run smoothly, and definitely not enough to preform an upgrade with... I would suggest at least a few gigs >5gb...

11. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I think he meant 250gb but I gould be wrong..

I had issues that "This disk cannnot boot your Mac" meanwhile I'm booted on the mac, erase still says the same thing. 12 hours of zero out all data and a 5hrs of a time machine re-load I'm good to go..This is going to frustrate many users..I have 4 tech illiterate friends with Mac's so CCC is on a thumbdrive in preperation.

12. rmwebs macrumors 68040

If he's a developer he'll need 20GB+

- OS X & Stock Apps: ~8GB
    - XCode & Related content: ~6GB
    - CS5: ~8GB

OP, I assume your diskspace postings was a typo as the OS would have started pausing apps if you've only got 250MB left.

If its any help, I know Lion will point blank NOT install if you're using any bootcamp partitions.

13. NeddyO macrumors newbie

You're probably right, but just thought I would mention it incase.

I'm now on my third try to download Lion, the first two corrupted. Lucky for us we know what we're doing, other's aren't so fortunate...

14. Eradik macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Lion installed just fine for me and I am using bootcamp partitions.

15. Jerome Morrow macrumors 6502a

Jerome Morrow

Up to this moment i have upgraded 37 Macs runing Snow Leopard to Lion without 0 issues.

16. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I concur the the installer wasn't brilliant. I burned a DVD of Lion and tried to erase my hard drive via Disk Utility on the install DVD for a clean install. It crashed twice before it worked.

Then, after the install, when filling in details for a user account, Lion froze on me, forcing me to do a cold reboot.

However, other than that, I've had no problems with Lion.

17. NeddyO macrumors newbie

I don't think you need to actually have 20GB free for an upgrade, that is the size of the finished install, plus developer extras. At least this was true from Leopard to Snow Leopard...

On another note, I have a partitioned drive, is there really no way I can install Lion without removing the partitions? :(

18. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

How much free space do you need for a regular install? My Lion upgrade failed, and I don't know why. I am now in the process of Time Machine restoring my SL. When I tried to install Lion the installer failed, and when I tried to reboot, there was no SL to boot to.

BTW, I am installing on a 32GB boot drive over my SL, and I have another 320GB HDD that all my other data is on. Could this be the problem? I may not have enough free space to install, that why I get the error.

19. Eradik macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

No problems here. My partition drive worked fine installing Lion.