OSX Lion install problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ork, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Ork macrumors newbie

Hey guys.

I just received my MBP 15" in the mail and guess what.. Lion came preinstalled on the HDD.

I want to put my vertex 3 into my mbp but have no way of installing the OS since apple didn't include a DVD backup.

How do I get Lion on my Vertex 3. I read about Internet Recovery but thats only for the new Airs and Minis.

any help would be greatly appreciated

2. ahdickter macrumors 6502

3. Ork thread starter macrumors newbie

Cant download OSX Lion cause its pre installed

Thanks for the reply.

I read that page already.

It assumes that you downloaded Lion from the mac app store. I had lion pre installed and when I look at purchases i do not see an option to download Lion. It also does not even let me pay an extra 30 dollars to buy the damn thing and download it so I am completely stuck

4. jhuezo macrumors newbie

I have the same problem. I have a lovely OWC SSD waiting but no way to get Lion onto it...

Anybody know how to extract a boot image from the lion pre-installation?

5. ahdickter macrumors 6502

Torrent? Or maybe a friend can give you the installer? If you had a copy of SL, you could install that and then possibly upgrade

6. Sam2lucky13 macrumors 6502

Sam2lucky13

that is a pickle...do you have a friend who has yet to install in on his/her mac? you could get the dmg after they download but before they install lion

if you have a friend who has the dmg they could make it available via fileai and share it with you.

7. seong macrumors 65816

seong

Just buy a 8GB SD Card, or USB/External HDD, make a bootable Lion drive, and install it off from it.
    I either way, you have to download a copy of Lion through Mac App Store to make a bootable device. I wouldn't recommend burning it to a DVD, because it takes much longer to install.
    If you don't mind wasting your time, then install Snow Leopard, update to 10.6.8, then download Lion and install.

8. Ork thread starter macrumors newbie

Solution!!!

Ok guyz I figured it out. and it doesn't require buying Lion all over again.

The Recovery HD feature lets you install Lion on anything. So with my HDD that came with my MBP, I booted while holding cmd + R. Then I chose my language and went into Disk Utility. After I formatted my USB Flash Drive to GUID I installed Mac OSX Lion on the Flash Drive. Then I took out my HDD and put in my blank SSD. I booted my MBP with the flash drive in the usb port. Then I held down option as I booted to see two options

1. Boot Mac OSX Lion off the flash drive
    2. Boot Mac HD Recovery off the flash drive

I chose the HD Recovery.

Then I formatted my SSD (GUID Mac OSX Journaled)
    then I installed OSX Lion on the SSD (it was so fast :p)

and then i was done. The Recovery HD program is very easy to use.. Unfortunately Apples Instructions are not very clear.

Hope this helps
    Gl

9. broadsword macrumors newbie

Fantastic!

I've been trying to figure this out for several days now and you solved it for me! Very well written instructions as well. Thanks!