OSX Lion Installation on Multiple Systems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JamesGorman, Jul 20, 2011.

1. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Hello,

I plan on splitting the cost of lion with my friend and installing it on both our macs. I purchased her mac for her. My question is if I install lion on her mac, will I need to permenetly have my apple id on her system, or can she use hers afterwards? I will be installing it via DVD, if that makes a differnece.

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

You could have an account on her system that you log into and go to the app store and "redownload." As there is no DRM, you can burn a dvd if you like. The license agreement says you can install it on as many machines as you "control" so if you "control" her machine you are good to go. If not, 29 bucks isn't an outrageous price for her to have it associated with her own Apple ID.

Of course the most outrageous aspect of dealing with Lion is waiting for the download to finish. I made sure I copied the dmg file before I allowed it to install and delete itself so I'd have to redownload it to install it on my wife's machine. It's supposed to be cached if you use a Time Capsule as a router. I use an AEBS as a router so I'd have to sit through another multi-hour download. No thanks.