OSX Lion King of the Bungle?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by yookay, Jan 9, 2012.

1. yookay macrumors newbie

Since installing Office for Mac 2011 (Home & Business edition with Outlook) 6 weeks ago everything on my MAC Book Pro/OS X Lion has slowed to a totally unacceptable speed. The annoying little coloured circular icon rotates for minutes at a time when trying to open Word, Outlook etc. When i'm in Outlook if I select Calendar it takes over two minutes to open. Typing emails is just as irritating as each letter jerks and pauses as I depress each key. All programs appear to be affected and it is getting worse by the day.
    My address book also keeps adding empty entries for no reason. The last time over a 1,000 blank entries appeared which I immediately deleted.
    Why is this happening? Should I uninstall Office for MAC 2008? Are they clashing or is there another reason? It has only started since I installed Office for MAC 2011 & OSX Lion. Prior to that I was operating OSX Snow Leopard and Office for MAC 2008. Laptop has 2+2gbRAM & 250gb disk with 136gb available.

2. Shazaam! macrumors member

Shazaam!

Many of us (myself included) have had various problems because we migrated from Snow Leopard instead of doing a fresh install of Lion. It's a pain but it will solve your problem.

3. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I noticed this sort of thing when I put Office 2011 on my wife's mini running Snow Leopard. During the install, fonts got corrupted and I had to reinstall OpenOffice/LibreOffice to get those working again. When I upgraded her mini to Lion, I had to upgrade RAM so while I was there I installed SSD. Her machine is a LOT faster now, but I conveniently "forgot" to reinstall Office 2011.

There are a couple of things I would try. First of all, delete any logon items related to Office 2011. See if all the lagging stops. Second of all, check which browser you are using. Safari tends to behave itself while Chrome tends to lose its mind from time to time and Firefox is a memory leaker of epic proportions on OS X. Thirdly, I would consider a RAM upgrade. That might be enough to banish the beachball for good.

I have no doubt this could improve things but I've been happy with the results upgrading 6 Macs to Lion from SL. In almost every case, I did a CCC (file mode not block mode) of SL to install a new HDD and then upgraded to Lion so the installs were "relatively fresh" but I did no direct fresh Lion installs. I get beachballs, but they are mainly caused by having a browser open with 50+ tabs.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I did a clean install of Lion on my MBP and then installed office 2011. I've not incurred any of those issues. Sounds like the upgrade processes may have messed things up. Checking the fonts and what not that R0k suggests is a good start.

5. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

For soon odd reason safari has started getting shorter from the bottom up every time I start it.

6. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

You mean the window is shrinking?
    Bizarre…

7. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Yes upwards from the bottom everytime I start safari. I may start a new thread on this.

8. scottsjack macrumors 68000

I've got Office 2011 on to Lion Macs. One was upgraded from SL with Office already installed while the other had Office added after the Lion upgrade. I haven't had any of the slowness issues you've described. However they syncing between Outlook and Mail/iCal/Address Book was so confusing that I disabled it.

There were too many issues between Outlook and Mac categories and colors. Only once was I able to get one of the programs to update the other with out screwing itself up. I wrote it of to Microsoft's reputation for great applications that communicate really poorly with other installed apps.