OSX Lion License

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ring, Mar 12, 2012.

1. ring macrumors regular

How can we tell how many lion installs we are currently running? Or how many of our 5 that we currently have used up.

- I have used the lion recovery feature to reformat my computer.
    - I want to install and run Lion inside of parallels

iTunes.app says only 1 computer is authorized to play content from my AppleID.

- Will I be able to reformat my computer, via lion recovery, after i have "hit my 5 installs"? I thought the 5 installs rule meant 5 different computers (not 5 installs of the product)

- Will I be able to install Lion in more than 4 VMs?

Thanks for the help, as always.. I love you guys <3

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....the license for Lion is not the same as far iTunes content. I think (as many have been in the past) you are a bit confused with old "family pack 5 install" license with previous version of OS X and the new way it is done with Lion.

With Lion, if you bought it from the App Store (it's different for a version that shipped with a computer) you can install on *any Apple computer that you own or control* - basically meaning if you have 10 Macs and they're all *yours* (not your mom's, brother's, friend's etc etc) you can install on all of them.

The license agreement is on Apple's website if you want to read it for yourself, or search the forum as it's been posted a few times in the past)....oh yeah!

3. iJ0N macrumors newbie

I was about to ask this thing, thank you for the infos.

4. ring thread starter macrumors regular

SO that means I can install Lion on an unlimited number of Parallels VMs? (using for various testing), on my primary machine.
    :apple: