OSX Lion Moved Spotlight Dictionary

Discussion in 'macOS' started by The Beatles, Jul 22, 2011.

1. The Beatles macrumors regular

When using spotlight to look up a word, i now have to type the word I'm looking for, then scroll all the way down the results window to select the dictionary.

Is there a plugin that allows dictionary access with just one command? I tried to reorder the spotlight results but apple doesn't let you move the dictionary up in the spotlight list.

Loving Lion.

Thanks in advance.

2. radosto macrumors newbie

3. trixdawabbit macrumors newbie

Dictionary results

Yeah, this is really annoying. Still no fix?

4. kgr macrumors newbie

Yes!!!

This seriously needs a tweak. I am about to go back to Snow Leopard.

5. KayNine1 macrumors newbie

I find this quite annoying to. Along with many other bugs, I still don't know why they haven't fixed them yet.

6. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal and put in the code(you can copy paste fro this command):

Code:
    /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user
    Don't close Terminal until it is finished (until it gives you another prompt), then you can close Terminal.

Also you can reindex you SpotLight database by reading the hint in the blog post Mac OS X Quick tip - Reset Spotlight data cache and re-index your hard drive.

See if that helps your situation.

7. vramiro macrumors newbie

Does it really works? I don't see the connection of moving up the dictionary lookup in spotlight search and rebulding the LaunchServices database...

somebody tried it?

-- VR

8. thinkyhead macrumors newbie

A quicker way, but...

I'm looking into a way to modify Spotlight's item order by messing with its preferences file, but in the meantime I found one helpful shortcut:

Type one Control-DownArrow to go to the bottom, then three UpArrows to get to "Look Up."

I'll post more if I can find an effective .plist or defaults entry, otherwise (since I'm an ubergeek) assume it's not that simple to change.

9. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

did anyone figure out a way to solve this ? The three finger tap to lookup words does not work in all apps (example Word 11). In the meanwhile, don't forget that you can also assign a keyboard shortcut to use "Services" menu to lookup a word in the dictionary.

10. MasterHowl macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

11. thinkyhead macrumors newbie

No Solution

There is no solution to move the item to the top of the list. I scanned the Spotlight binary and found keys for all the items that can be relocated, but there is no hidden key for the Dictionary item - it is hard-coded.

So, the only workaround or shortcut is: with Spotlight open, use the CTRL-DownArrow, PageDown, or End key to move to the bottom of the list, then press UpArrow 3 times to get to the dictionary item.

12. mabaker macrumors 65816

mabaker

That is a huge annoyance. Has been a wonderful feature in Leopard, now it's as tedious as ever to look specific words up.