OSX Lion Pre Installed on New MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aidan257, Sep 1, 2011.

1. aidan257 macrumors newbie

aidan257

I bought my Macbook Pro 13.3 from a seller on Ebay. Now i want to download Lion from Appstore incase the drive fubars later on. Is this possible? I've tried to download it from Appstore but it threatens me with a fee of £20.99.

Does this mean i have to buy it or is there another way i can download it as it was supplied with my MBP?

Thanks guys.

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Are you sure that Lion came preinstalled on that MBP? If so, then you may be able to make a recovery key using Apple's utility (posted on the main page a while back), or call AppleCare and tell them you're having trouble and need one of the USB keys to do the install. If it didn't come preinstalled, then the license is not, AFAIK, transferable, and you would need to purchase your own license.

jW

3. aidan257 thread starter macrumors newbie

aidan257

i am 100% sure it is brand new, came in a sealed box. So is it some kind of app i can download or a feature within disk utilities? I am assuming i can just pick up a 4gb pen drive & use that as my recovery/restore disk.

4. RayK macrumors 6502

The new machines do not have recovery discs but have recovery partitions. I have heard of apple providing recovery discs for these machines on a case by case basis. Your best bet is to call apple.