OSX Lion Server Time Machine Service

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by VictoryHighway, Aug 8, 2011.

1. VictoryHighway macrumors member

VictoryHighway

Hello All,
    I don't know if this is the right board to post this, or if the Mac OS X Server, XServe and Networking board would be better.

When Lion came out, I upgraded my Mac Mini (which I've used as a server even though it only had Snow Leopard client installed). I installed the "Server" add on.

I have multiple external hard drives connected to the mini. I'm using two different drives for time machine backups from two different Macs. With just the standard file sharing enabled, I have no problems with Time Machine backing up to those drives with Snow Leopard clients.

However, when I upgraded my main Mac Pro to Lion, Time Machine would no longer back up to the network drive. I keep getting the infamous "The Network Backup Disk Does Not Support The Required AFP Features" message. I have since reverted to Snow Leopard via a disk image that I made before upgrading to Lion.

I notice that in the Server.app, there is a dedicated Time Machine Service. I have tested this with a Lion client test set up. This works, but it doesn't allow me to select more than one volume that I can use as a Time Machine target. Does anyone know what the "Time Machine" service actually does that is different from standard AFP file sharing? Is there a way to hack the Time Machine service to allow more than one time machine backup volume? Finally, assuming that I can get Time Machine in Lion to connect at all, can I safely migrate my existing Time Machine backup archives to Lion?

I appreciate any help that anyone can offer.

Regards,
    Geoffrey

2. xcapepr macrumors newbie

xcapepr

I was using a similar setup with an iMac with an upgraded 3TB drive. I wanted it to be the backup hub for the two MBP and a white MB I have at home. After upgrading all clients to lion I cannot use the iMac as a TM destination. The iMac has Lion Server. Any ideas anyone?

3. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Has anyone figured this out?

I, too, would like to use multiple destination disks (external drives) for backing up multiple different computers with Time Machine. I have an external HD that is split into 3 partitions, 2 of which I would like to use for backing up 2 different computers via TM. However, in the Time Machine potion of the Lion Server app, you are apparently only allowed to designate a single partition as the destination for the TM back-ups. I really can't imagine that Apple would think it a good idea to back-up a multitude of client machines on a single partition.

4. belvdr macrumors 603

5. Minicube macrumors regular

Thanks a lot, Apple, for removing functionality...