OSX Lion, the most advanced..

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by ShrubbySoup, May 7, 2012.

1. ShrubbySoup macrumors regular

ShrubbySoup

Hi, I was just wondering something, on the apple website it says that OSX lion is the most advanced os in the world, how can they determine this? Proof?

2. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

3. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

4. ShrubbySoup thread starter macrumors regular

ShrubbySoup

It may be marketing, but it could also be a false allegation

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It all depends on how they define advanced.

This does not have a universally accepted metric so you can't really take it for anything other than marketing.

B

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's vague, so how can you claim it's false? There's no qualification to the use of the term "advanced", so there's no definitive challenge to it. Like many marketing terms ("best" "favorite" "number one" "leading", etc.), these claims are vague, so they can be used without having to provide specifics.

7. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

It'd be hard to prove that Apple is correct or incorrect. There's no standard definition of "Advanced" that you could hold any software developer to.

8. 3282868 macrumors 603

I understand the OP's point. If you cannot prove or disprove it, than that statement is a misnomer.

It'd be tantamount to stating BMW is the most advanced car in the world, or Dr. X is the most skilled xxxx in the world.

While the above statements, in conversational form, are meaningless, making a statement on one's product for marketing purposes can be misleading as there is no way to prove or disprove it. Thus, it doesn't make it definitive and therefore should not be utilized in marketing a product (in legal terms). :)

9. ShrubbySoup thread starter macrumors regular

ShrubbySoup

This is exactly what I mean, I could make a super super simple os of my own with one feature, take apple to court and say mine is more advanced, who would win, possibly me

10. chevalier433 macrumors 6502a

chevalier433

from consumers OS's i think Mac OS is the most advanced

11. 3282868 macrumors 603

Again, that's an opinion not a fact. As a consumer I may believe that Infiniti's are the best luxury cars in the world, or that restaurant X has a better menu than restaurant y. Those are subjective observations and I certainly wouldn't market a product based from those assertions.

It is a very bold and finite statement to claim your product is the most advanced of all competing products. Legally, there needs to be objective proof or in the least a clause indicating this is an opinion of xxxx.

(not that I am in disagreement, but that would be my opinion ;) )

12. GGJstudios, May 7, 2012
    Last edited: May 7, 2012

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What's the point? Millions of advertisers make such vague claims when hyping their products. You'd never get anywhere in court, because the statements are too non-specific to pin down any legal falsehood. They can qualify "advanced" any way they want. It's a waste of time and energy to worry about this. Advertising is advertising.

Just a sampling:

13. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Yup it all boils down to semantics.

But ...let's not kid ourselves. OS X is more advanced than the "Lion's Share" (pun intended) of users will get around to using. From most perspectives it "is" fairly advanced for a consumer OS.

• UNIX underpinnings
    • Terminal access (yes old but key for advanced users)
    • Scripting and Automation
    • Solid window server
    • Extensible architecture

The things that I want that are missing typically relate to business level stuff like the missing iSCSI initiator or other network protocols that are outside the norm.

14. 3282868 macrumors 603

Very true, very true. I suppose it boils down to semantics and "legalize" (although those examples are still subjective opinions and not fact). Yet, what would happen if a doctor marketed themselves to be "the most skilled surgeon in the world"? Yes, I know, Apples and Doctors (pun intended). Still, candy for the brain :).

15. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Is that really any different than saying BMW - The Ultimate Driving Machine right under their logo?

NOTE: I picked a UK site, because of the OP's location in case this was not the case there.

B

16. 3282868 macrumors 603

Touché

(although is it really an Ultimate or Advanced Driving Machine? :p)

17. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Since "ultimate" really means last, not best, presumably everyone who buys a BMW will die in it. :p

But back to the subject at hand, "advanced" is an opinion, not a fact. Apple could start marketing the Lisa's OS again and call it the most advanced operating system and they'd be on safe legal ground, although everyone would laugh themselves silly

18. 3282868 macrumors 603

HAHAHAHA thanks for that ultimate laugh :)

19. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I'd say they might actually have a leg to stand on, even if they might need a cane. ;)

B

20. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Oh, well if we're going by age, than Windows is definitely the most advanced OS. Unless you count OSX's UNIX roots.

21. chevalier433 macrumors 6502a

chevalier433

Sure i agree apple says Mac OS is the most advanced for marketing reasons but i dont think this is far from the truth compared with windows its main opponent in the consumer market.In the end as you said is a matter of personal preference.

22. robgendreau macrumors 68040

This the most advanced post.

And the ultimate, at least now.

23. 3282868 macrumors 603

haha does the cane come in a spinning beach ball finish? ;)

24. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Not anymore.

25. scubus macrumors member

scubus

Nobody would win, except the lawyers. It would most likely be tossed out as a frivolous suit.

In addition, as has already been stated, an advertiser doesn't have to prove an opinion. And that is all that Apple is stating, their opinion.