OSX Lion thumb drive to be shipped with MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by macneubie, Aug 17, 2011.

1. macneubie macrumors regular

As above, they just released this flash drive installer in the online store.

2. Minhthien macrumors 6502

No! For sale only!

3. macneubie thread starter macrumors regular

that sucks... previous 2010 release they included a flash drive why not this release.... :confused:

4. Steamrunner macrumors member

Because the Lion re-installer is built into the system. No thumb drive needed - unless you don't have a decent interwebs connection...

5. PPFee macrumors 6502

I am guessing their response to the question would highlight the new airs recovery partition and internet recovery option and how that should take care of most situations... I completely understand the comfort that comes with having physical media for installations. You can always create your own OS X recovery thumb Drive, DVD, etc.

6. macneubie thread starter macrumors regular

they can't always assume internet access is always present when need to do recovery.

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Which is why if you go into the Apple store, be nice and polietly have words with the genius bar staff - explain you do not have broadband or will be traveling etc, and they may be able to give you a courtesy usb stick for re-installation. It is at their discretion.

8. Steamrunner macrumors member

They can assume that for the majority of cases it is - for those that don't have access, they have the ability to do it in-store, send out a USB key, or have you send the laptop in. Just like any other repair.

9. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

Or use the backup to USB utility Apple released a week or so ago. I have a USB key loaded with my backup in my MBA's box right now :)

10. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Apple's tool to create a recovery USB thumb drive still requires Internet access when doing the recovery. It duplicates the recovery partition/Internet recovery software, not a whole Lion installation.

So you'll be quite surprised when you try to recover your Mac with it and without Internet access I bet. ;)

11. urkel macrumors 68030

1) That recovery utility still requires internet since its actually just "the recovery partition on a stick" and not actually the full meal

2) That recovery utility is for Lion upgraders and doesnt actually work on machines pre-installed with Lion

BTW. I saved myself $70 by making my own Apple branded Lion USB Stick out of the one that came with the old Air.
    [​IMG]
    They're locked down but this thread helped me unlock it and turn it into a standard 8GB USB stick. The only problem is that Apple didnt practice waht they preach and released 10.7.1 as a software update and the Mac App Store version is still stuck at 10.7 so it still wont work for 2011 Air/Mini users.

12. alecgold macrumors 6502a

alecgold

I have a reasonable 8 mbit connection, but even then it takes 2.5 hours to download the whole, and then 33minutes to install. When I had the dvd or usb-stick it would take 35-40 minutes to install. quite a difference.
    My new 11" i7 is really nice, everything I expected and even a bit more. But because I FUBARed it while migrating, I needed to reinstall lion. And that wasn't very funny.

13. jsolares macrumors 6502a

Well the build number is still different between my iMac and the Air after updating to 10.7.1 so it still wouldn't work even if the MAS version were at 10.7.1