OSX Lion - Up-to-date program

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by imHappy, Jul 6, 2011.

1. imHappy macrumors regular

Hey guys,

I have some questions about this program and whether i'm eligible to get it free as soon as it gets officially released.

I currently have a Macbook air with approximately one month of use. But what i'm certain is that the first day i turn it on was on June 6th. However it was bought 1 month ago since shipping it from USA to Peru takes way to much time and it was shipped by an authorized reseller.

Also, when I insert my serial number into Apple website, it says that my warranty ends on June 4th of 2012, yet the first day I turn this mba was on June 6.

So does Apple count this product to be bought on June 6, June 4 or a month backwards since the reseller placed the order?

Also, how does this program works? Apple will recognize that in case my mba was ordered in June 6th I can basically freely download it from Mac app store, or I have to talk to my reseller to give me some type of code to redeem on the official release, because I read something like "after you buy your mac after June 6th, you have 30 days to apply for some type of "up-to-date" program code from your reseller".

Someone please clarify me this.

I mind paying 30$ after the release, but getting things free is always good for my wallet! =)

ps: Sry for my engish.

Thanks in advance guys!

2. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

As far as I know, warranty starts from the day you buy it, not the day you turn it on..

3. imHappy thread starter macrumors regular

4. fyrefly macrumors 6502a

If your Apple warranty says June 4th, then Apple's recorded your laptop as having been purchased/warrantied on June 4th. Since that's only 2 days before the people in the "Up to Date" program get the free copy of Lion, I'd put in a polite phone call to Apple to see what they'll do for ya.

Can't hurt, and I bet if you get the right person on the phone, they'll make a note in your account and give you Lion for free.

5. imHappy thread starter macrumors regular

It's okey then, i got no time to waste right now. =)

I will just pay the 30$ since i really don't mind

6. htpw16 macrumors member

Will we have to provide a serial number and proof of purchase when requesting the upgrade?

7. towje macrumors newbie

8. Jennynot macrumors newbie

Hi,

I ordered my macbook on the 22nd July - so still waiting for it to arrive atm (seems like it's forever).

I was just wondering how the up-to-date thing works though. From the above posts it seems like you ask for the code and they allow you to download it free from the mac app store...

My question is what happens after that.

I want to upgrade to Lion for sure, but due to a rather long story essentially boiling down to "potential installation issues", I don't want to upgrade to Lion YET.

So, once I've downloaded it from the app store does it auto update? Is there a time limit on how long I could wait to download it from the app store? Or how long I could wait before it does the update after I've downloaded it?

Sorry for a potentially confusing post, but all answers welcome :)

Jenny x