Osx lion upgrade disaster

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by feins, Jul 20, 2011.

1. feins macrumors member

feins

I've just complete download lion and upgrade on my Mac pro 2009. With Areca raid. Once I click install n lion initialize a reboot and I got nothing but a GREY no entry sign and the installation won't start. I try to boot by holding option key and still no use there is no recovery partition.

I guess it must gave something to do with the Areca raid. What should I do?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Do you know if your RAID drivers are Lion compatible?

3. monksealpup macrumors regular

Areca has beta drivers they posted to their FTP site (don't go looking for it through the web) at ftp.areca.com.tw. The problem is the image that loads during the install process doesn't have any Areca drivers, let alone this "Lion compatible" beta (so it'll hang on "waiting for root device" or similar error). I tried injecting it into the image (which is, itself, in a .dmg that loads at startup) but no success. I don't know if it's a permissions issue on the .kext (I couldn't chown or anything); I was also thinking of trying to make a .mkext after installing it and see if that helped the boot process, but I haven't gotten around to that.

Anyway, let me know if you want more details on the methods I tried and maybe you can pick up the work and make it successful.

4. lbeck macrumors 6502

lbeck

I saw new firmware for the Areca cards on their site the other day for Lion. I would install that, but it probably needed to be done before lion was installed.

Do you have your data backed up? If so, remove the raid card and get lion set up. Then download the lion driver and install card back.

What raid card do u have?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. lbeck macrumors 6502

lbeck

6. monksealpup, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

monksealpup macrumors regular

I can confirm this does NOT work since I updated drivers before trying to upgrade to Lion with these drivers. No dice. It's the boot image that doesn't even have Areca drivers on it.

Anyway, getting it to boot back to 10.6.8 required that I use a recovery disk from a Lion Dev. Preview (I think DP2) and select the 10.6.8 partition in startup disk. With with GM/release build of Lion, it won't let you select the 10.6.8 disk as a startup disk and reboot back into 10.6.8. :\

7. lbeck macrumors 6502

lbeck

Man that sucks. I'd definitely call Areca support in the morning. I have the 1880i myself, I'll wait to upgrade for sure.

8. feins thread starter macrumors member

feins

Ok i got the reply from Areca and i can suggest it is a real disaster here. From what Areca wana tell me is that Lion don't support Areca Controller natively and the only way i can upgrade to lion is to clone my whole 1.5 Tera of data to a standalone drive and upgrade from there and then reclone it back to the Array which i take it a dump solution and if i had a 5Tera of data then how do i manage to get such a stand alone size for cloning to..!?:eek:

Dear Sir/Madam,

do you install the OS into controller volume ?
    if so, you have to use the same installation procedure when you install the
    10.6 into controller volume before.

the OS buildin driver do not support ARC1880, you have to install the system
    into a seperate drive, update driver, and clone the OS into the controller
    volume.

Best Regards,

Kevin Wang

Areca Technology Tech-support Division
    Tel : 886-2-87974060 Ext. 223
    Fax : 886-2-87975970
    Http://www.areca.com.tw
    Ftp://ftp.areca.com.tw
    Mirror Ftp :
    ftp://areca.starline.de

9. feins thread starter macrumors member

feins

Does ur OS on a stand alone or on a Raid Controller? Damn if boot back require then i need to dig a DP2. Cos i had about 1.5Tera of data there and I'm in a headache to how to get an external storage that huge to do cloning and then upgrade and reclone back to the Array:(

beck:
    The driver are suppose to be install after lion or update from SL which is a piece of software but during reboot the Lion installation can't find any drive due to it don't recognize the Controller Natively.

10. studiobuzz macrumors newbie

That is it for me with ARECA

I just bought a 3TB Seagate from Amazon for $184.00 with overnight shipping. I am next going to look into Thunderbolt for my Mac Pro.

What P..s. me is that ARECA sent no notice of any such issues to prepare us for this change. Their tech support has a lot to be desired too.

Anyone want a 3TB ARECA 1221?:rolleyes:

11. feins thread starter macrumors member

feins

I guess it's not that Areca to be blame off as its apple who don't want to adopt it in to protect their own Raid controller.

But as its my mistake for not requesting the support before upgrade and here is a painful way to lean the consequences. Im still trying to do the restoration now using an external drive and restore my data from my TimeMachine before upgrading to Lion again and clone to the array, so i guess there still few hour more of work and wait and by the time i finish hopes everything work accordingly. :eek:

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Fom the sounds of it they didn't but the responsibility on determining whether software/hardware is compatible before an upgrade is the user. I'm not trying to sound harsh but at the end of the day, it really does boil down to doing your due diligence.

13. studiobuzz macrumors newbie

ASSume a little too much here!

Ouch! Maybe you should not ASSume things:mad:

This is the only posting on ARECAs KB system. It was posted in June:
    Q10111106 - I'm currently testing Mac OS X Lion on my MacPro4,1 w/Areca ARC-1212. There is a severe Problem with the ArcMSR.kext shipping with both Developer Preview 3 and the latest Developer Preview 4 (11A480b): Each RAID Volume on the areca controller is detected under LUN 0 and LUN 1 and mounted twice, which of course causes severe filesystem corruption.

ARECA response:
    The Lion has changed the original LUN/ID for parallel SCSI to LUN/ID for serial SCSI. Please download the driver version from our FTP or website to fix the LION compatibility.

That was June 29. From reading that one could reasonably assume that they fixed the problem... right?

Foot In Mouth?

14. monksealpup macrumors regular

Areca may have fixed the LUN/data corruption problem with these beta drivers, but I cannot tell. I will say that the current/retail Lion install doesn't corrupt data, even if it doesn't successfully complete the boot cycle.

My setup is that the boot volume is a RAID 5 array, so the drivers for my RAID card (Areca 1680) must load for the array to be read. That's the problem with the current setup with Lion -- Lion boots from an image then loads another image for the install. Apparently the first image has the drivers but the second image does not (and, as I mentioned in a previous post, I tried to inject the drivers into that second image but it didn't work, apparently).

Anyway, still stuck at the "waiting for root device" error, which I am pretty sure is due to the lack of ArcMSR.kext on the .dmg that the first/boot .dmg loads during boot.

I don't think it's Areca's fault, really. Seems like Apple forgot to include Areca drivers in that second image (maybe they intended to, but didn't get the updated/beta one from Areca, forgot about it, then shipped?). Presumably Apple was aware of this problem since 10.5 had a similar issue with b0rked/missing drivers after the install, but since it didn't boot in this new "Lion way", you could boot off an external drive, copy ArcMSR.kext onto the boot RAID array, then reboot and everything would be fine.

I kind of wish Lion could install to a different drive on the system without rebooting to that drive. If that were true, I could hook up an external, update the RAID array, copy the beta driver to it (if required), and no problem. But this current install/setup sequence with nested .dmgs is :eek: :( :mad:

15. feins thread starter macrumors member

feins

I've send the same request to Areca but they reply me that ther are not going to take responsible on this and tosh the ball back to apple.

FYI I've completed the installation as suggested by Areca.

Install SL on an external drive-> restore all backup from timemachine -> update SL to 10.6.8 and all latest update -> upgrade to Lion -> install new driver for lion by Areca -> format Areca raid array -> carbon copy the entirety drive to the newly formatted array -> completed total hr toke 24hr :(

16. monksealpup macrumors regular

Yeah, they tell people to do that a lot ("just ghost the drive" blah blah). That's all well and good unless you have something like an 8TB or 16TB array ...

Anyway, fwiw, it would seem that it WOULD fall to Apple, provided Areca made working drivers available to them. Apple does make the install packages, after all.

17. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

This is a grave you've dug for yourself. There is no reason at all why your boot drive isn't a much, much smaller SSD.

18. feins thread starter macrumors member

feins

My fren as if you grow up to 8-16tb I recommend you move to SAN rather than on your workstation as thats a too risky on high possibility of data lost beyond recovery. I never grow my array over 2TB as it's still for workstation purposes and once complete I will move the completed project to a save storage.

Secondly I guess apple won't accept on 3rd party device which will direct impact to apple's marketing strategy as they have their own raid controller and as for marketing strategy they would rally push their own product than their competitive.

19. monksealpup macrumors regular

Well, I guess this thread is now going to turn into a holier-than-thou "you're so stupid you should have done this" thread.

Hit me up if you're interested in actually solving the problem -- I have some good approaches to try.

20. feins thread starter macrumors member

feins

I guess so as I think there is no solution for it rather by following what Areca mention and at the end it's a painful experience.

21. sys0p macrumors member

Had the same problem with the 1212 (Actually still have on one RAID0 setup), but I could successfully boot from a targeted MacBook Pro (10.7), clone the disk to the second raid0 (after I installed the latest drivers) and I am now happily using 10.7 directly from the second raid0.

I would however still be happy if someone could come up with the solution to recover the first raid with all my installed stuff on it ;). I can of course see the drive but to install all the unix tools and all system packages is kind painful ....

22. feins thread starter macrumors member

feins

For me I install from an external hdd after install SL I restore everything from my timemachine before upgrade to lion. After upgrade to lion I install the Areca driver for lion and then carbon copy back to my array. But the process was damn long.