OSX Lion USB premium

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fluffylion, Jul 20, 2011.

1. fluffylion macrumors newbie

i don't think Lion is worth money to update, and is pretty much crap.

However, even more crap is the poor journalism on the pricing scheme. Claiming the USB version has a "premium" price point.

In order to purchase Lion, you need Snow Leopard. It is a requirement to "upgrade". The USB version is essentially different to what you download off the App-store.

Bad journalism is bad, just like Apples evil-genius marketing techniques!

2. Phlebas8717 macrumors newbie

Phlebas8717

What exactly are you trying to say?

Who is calling it premium? Apple doesn't on their press release.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/07/20Mac-OS-X-Lion-Available-Today-From-the-Mac-App-Store.html

A quick Google News search for Lion, USB and Premium doesn't show anything about about the USB being called premium.

Are you trying to say that Apple is charging too much of a premium for putting Lion on a USB drive?

3. fluffylion thread starter macrumors newbie

i would of thought it was obvious, considering my major complaint was targeting the poor journalism which is distinctively comparing the two prices together with a negative innuendo.

i guess you don't read up on stuff before buying... which has is perks i guess

but you really didn't have a look at apples press release expecting them to call it a premium did you? come on

4. Phlebas8717 macrumors newbie

Phlebas8717

I still don't understand what are you talking about. Can you show me an example of a website comparing downloading Lion from the App Store and Lion on a USB thumb drive in a manner that implies that the thumb drive Lion is better or premium in some way? Or are you meaning premium as "a sum added to an ordinary price or charge" and you are critical of the idea of charging a premium to own a physical copy of the OS?

Also, while I would say that the USB Lion is way overpriced, it does offer some distinct (albeit minor) advantages over downloading Lion through the App Store. The ability to have a clean install is helpful and, in a world of bandwidth caps and crappy internet, not having to use one's precious gigabytes is nice.

Me, I just made a my own Lion thumb drive boot disc and got the best of both worlds. However, I don't begrudge Apple for the thumb drive. I just wish it would be a little cheaper; they must have a bazillion of thumb drives lying around because of the MBAs already formated with Lion on them.

5. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I think the OP is saying that the media has unfairly characterized the Lion USB drive as costing more solely because it is on physical media. I think the OP is implying that the Lion USB drive will not require any previous OS on a disk and is a full install rather than an update as Lion is on the App Store (it requires having Snow Leopard installed). For that reason, the Lion USB drive costs more than the version sold through the Mac App Store. Perhaps, it's a way for people who currently own a Mac with Leopard to upgrade to Lion without purchasing Snow Leopard, which adds value to the product, beyond the fact that it's on a USB drive.

The OP can correct me, but that's what I inferred from what he implied.

6. gmans46 macrumors regular

how did you do that may i ask?

7. Phlebas8717 macrumors newbie

Phlebas8717

That makes sense. I wonder if the Terms of Service for the Thumbdrive Lion will be different from App Store Lion?

BTW, I love the Frost reference in your User Name

8. Phlebas8717 macrumors newbie

Phlebas8717